Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions >

just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions

Old 06-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Default just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions

Unfortunately I've got to pack up all the shooting toys until August due to school. Tonight I cleaned my Bobcat with 2 different kinds of solvents (Rusty Duck "Black Off" and T/C T17 cleaner) then, according to the Bore Butter tube, I ran a saturated patch down the barrel. Should this suffice? I didn't get to do the scalding water and wire brush thing but I can make time for it in the morning if you guys see it absolutely necessary.

Also, I took what I did with the BB to be "seasoning" the barrel but their instructions were confusing to me. Should I swab that out good before I shoot again? What exactly is seasoning?

One more: It seems like no matter how much scrubbing and wiping and rubbing I do around the nipple after I shoot I always get that whitish graycorrosion looking stuff all around it, the hammer, and that area of the barrel. Should I be worried about that? I think so but it seems almost as unbeatable as the cockroach. What's a good way to clean that?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Default RE: just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions

use some windex to clean that area. I honestly wouldnt use bore butter and leave it in the barrel. Done that before with a tc renegade i used to have and it would always come back out rusty. Just use that tc cleaner, get all that stuff out and maybe if you have it, spray a patch with rem oil, run it down the barrel and then run a dry patch down and you'll be set.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 PM

bore butter ought to do the job until you get it back out. I would use windex or your cleaner of choice and swab the bore butter out before you shoot it. My Optima does not care for the bore butter. I have an inline so I can't help you with the nipple issue.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am going to tell you my opinion on how to care for that rifle, but you do as you see fit. First off, I would scrub that bore butter out of that barrel. I have no desire to season a barrel as they claim. I season cast iron cook ware, not rifles. I do not like to use bore butter. Some people do like the use of bore butter. And that is fine, as long as it is their rifle.

After I worked boiling hot water through the barrel and remove all that crud, I would then work some solvent patches through the barrel and make sure the inside of that barrel is spotless clean. After that I run some isopropyl alcohol patches down the barrel. Finally I run dry patches down the barrel until the barrel is not only clean and free of all crud, but dry. After all of that I take a patch and get it saturated with Birchwood Casey Sheath (a.k.a. Barricade) or Rem Oil with Teflon, or CLP, but a quality gun OIL will do. Then work that inside of the barrel over real good with that oil patch.

After that take a Q-tip and wipe the inside of the bolster area to make sure that is dry. Then with a little LIGHToil on the end of the new Q-tip wipe the inside threads of the nipple area. Wipe the bolster off real good with an oil patch, then replace the nipple. That should take care of that white spotting you notice. Now with an oil patch wipe every square inch of the barrel off with that patch. Put the stock back on it. Wipe the wedge pin off with the same oil patch.

Take a paper towel and set it in the corner of the room. Put the rifle muzzle end down on that paper towel and leave it there for an hour or so. This will allow any spare oil to run down the barrel, out the muzzle, and into the paper towel. Your rifle is now ready for storage.

When you are ready to shoot it again, just take a patch with isopropyl alcohol on it. Scrub the bore down real good with that patch. Then put a dry patch on your jag and push that to the bottom of the breech and pop three #11 caps through the nipple. This will blow out any oil in there on top the patch. Also if you do not see burn marks on that patch you need to clean the rifle again and repeat the patch test. After that patch has burn marks on it, that means fire is coming through the channel and the rifle is ready to be loaded and fired again.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with gander and cayugad, every time I'vestored a gun with bore butter as a barrel protector, a clean patch pushed down the barrel a week later would come outwith a rusty look.

These days I run an oily patch down the clean barrel and leave a lightcoating of oil in there(rem oil, 3 in 1, any light machine oil).

Usually, Idon't even follow the oily patch with a dry one. I put a dry patch between the hammer and nipple (or a wadded up piece of patch in the 209 primer pocket)to soak up any oil that works its way to the breech area while the gun is standing in the rack.

When I'm getting ready to shoot, two or three dry patches followed by an alcohol patch prior to loading will take care of the oil.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

One addition is that before I oil the barrel with some rem. oil (last step before I leave it rest), I make sure that the barrel and nipple area is good and dry. If you have any moisture in the barrel before you do the final oiling I believe that the moisture will be trapped by the oil. Just something to think about. When cleaning the water should be hot as possible. I have found that the hotter and the more water you can use the better, esp. after shooting a lot. Hope this assists you.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like the area around the nipple has suffered from scorch and burn from the cap going off and burning the bore butter.i went through this years ago because i only used bore butter as per the thompson center instruction book on the outside and in the bore. if you use a good gun oil on the outside of the barrel this wont happen. as far as long term storage go with gun oil.just make sure you get the oil out with 90% rubbing alcohol before shooting again. i only use bore butter as a coating in the bore during the couple week hunting season . the rest of the year it gets oiled.