HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions
Old 06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: just cleaned out the bobcat good, some storage questions

Well I am going to tell you my opinion on how to care for that rifle, but you do as you see fit. First off, I would scrub that bore butter out of that barrel. I have no desire to season a barrel as they claim. I season cast iron cook ware, not rifles. I do not like to use bore butter. Some people do like the use of bore butter. And that is fine, as long as it is their rifle.

After I worked boiling hot water through the barrel and remove all that crud, I would then work some solvent patches through the barrel and make sure the inside of that barrel is spotless clean. After that I run some isopropyl alcohol patches down the barrel. Finally I run dry patches down the barrel until the barrel is not only clean and free of all crud, but dry. After all of that I take a patch and get it saturated with Birchwood Casey Sheath (a.k.a. Barricade) or Rem Oil with Teflon, or CLP, but a quality gun OIL will do. Then work that inside of the barrel over real good with that oil patch.

After that take a Q-tip and wipe the inside of the bolster area to make sure that is dry. Then with a little LIGHToil on the end of the new Q-tip wipe the inside threads of the nipple area. Wipe the bolster off real good with an oil patch, then replace the nipple. That should take care of that white spotting you notice. Now with an oil patch wipe every square inch of the barrel off with that patch. Put the stock back on it. Wipe the wedge pin off with the same oil patch.

Take a paper towel and set it in the corner of the room. Put the rifle muzzle end down on that paper towel and leave it there for an hour or so. This will allow any spare oil to run down the barrel, out the muzzle, and into the paper towel. Your rifle is now ready for storage.

When you are ready to shoot it again, just take a patch with isopropyl alcohol on it. Scrub the bore down real good with that patch. Then put a dry patch on your jag and push that to the bottom of the breech and pop three #11 caps through the nipple. This will blow out any oil in there on top the patch. Also if you do not see burn marks on that patch you need to clean the rifle again and repeat the patch test. After that patch has burn marks on it, that means fire is coming through the channel and the rifle is ready to be loaded and fired again.