Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First black powder Turkey >

First black powder Turkey

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First black powder Turkey

Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Default First black powder Turkey

Shot My first turkey with my knight tk2000 shootgun at about 27 yards.

It was a 2yr old bird, 17lbs,9 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.

My load was 100 grains select pyrodex RS with a mix of 1 oz of #4's and 1 1/2 ozs of #5's. The shot was Knights red hot mag, lead. The wads and over shotwad where also the standard one from knight.

The bird never knew what hit him. He fell over like a ton of brick hit him. I am hook with this gun, it is shooting great patterns.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First black powder Turkey

EXCELLENT!!! that is great to hear. How is the recoil with that load?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the bird, but, Holy Butt-kick batman! I tried some 2 oz loads and they rocked my world I can only imagine what a 2.5 oz load would feel like!

Getting that turkey with a BP shotgun was sure exciting though wasn't it!?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM

The kick was not bad for one shot. I felt my heart pumping harder. But When I was on the range after shooting alot I felt it towards the end. I did try 120 grains and that load was like a mule kicking me. I tried 90 grain but the pattern sucked.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Trust me I know, I shot a turkey two mondays ago at 60 yards with the same gun. I know, I wouldn't beleiveit, but as God is my witness it ranged at 62 yards. The neck feathers were shot out. My load was 100 grains of loose pyro with a 3" long wad and 2-1/2 oz of #6 lead shot with an overshot card. It was packed tight as I did find the wad cup after the shot some 40 yards out where I shot. The cup was intact and I had so much pressure on it when I loaded the overshot card that dimples of the shot were showing in the cup. Sure the kick is something but damn that can outshoot any 12 guage I have. I have patterned this out to this range all year and I was definitely confident on the shot. I went to pick up the bird and a 6 foot long black snake scared the b'jesus out of me. What a rush. The best by far of any turkey i ever shot. The key with this gun is packing it tight, I have noticed that the tighter I pack it the better it groupsare. Awesome is an understatement and you will enjoy that gun in the years to come. I would never trade or sell this gun ever.

The target shown is from the Sunday before and as you can see at 45 yards it blew out the neck and tore the target in half. This is 12"X12" target and I did not count the pellets as I was amazed at what it did to the target.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/gotbuck1127/Turkey_target.jpg
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Gotbuck - that is an amazing pattern. Like I mentioned before, I have a friend who lives for turkey hunting. And while he has a lot of shotgun options out there to choose from, he went witha Knight TK2000 claiming he can knock a bird flat at over 45 yards. Well a pattern like that just proves to me why he goes with a black powder gun over a modern shotgun. With a pattern like that there is no need for a second shot. The first one would do the trick just fine.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

congrats
Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad, I rate the TK2000 as a must have gun. It can without a doubt outshoot any 12 guage. The kick is stout but actually when the adreneline is pumping and a tom walks in you honestly don't feel it other than a nudge. When she goes off the smoke cloud is tremendous, but it just makes it more awesome.