Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Change in color / odor of lube in Oxyoke / TC patches >

Change in color / odor of lube in Oxyoke / TC patches

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Change in color / odor of lube in Oxyoke / TC patches

Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Change in color / odor of lube in Oxyoke / TC patches

There's something different about the lube being used in patches under the Oxyoke and TC label during the past year…it may be since being bought out by that other ML company, they’ve made the change, and I assume they also continue to make patches for TC’s label.

I bought a couple bags of Oxyoke precut/prelubed pillow ticking patches for my .62cal, and half dozen bags of TC’s .54cal.
They are identical to previous patches in every respect except that they don’t have the orange NL1000 color and they don’t have the wintergreen smell…it’s not an unpleasant smell and the odor that comes to mind is the same as I recall a can of boot dressing smelled that was called SnoSeal I think...a soft white paste.

The .62cal bags are labeled "Oxyoke Originals, Wonder Ticking 1000 Plus", just like their previous bags… and there’s no difference between TC’s labels either…just the color and smell...and they all "feel" and shoot exactly the same way.
(Note: in the photo to show the original NL1000 color of .62cal Oxyoke patches I actually displayed a bag sold under the name "Muzzleloader Originals, same thing)

Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 PM

Default RE: Change in color / odor of lube in Oxyoke / TC patches

I just rummaged around in the garage and found what I was remembering...it was a tub of "Mink Oil"...(not SnoSeal)...and it is precisely the same smell, soft white paste...the lube in the white colored patches appears to be Mink Oil !!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried Mink Oil at the suggestion of TOTW in my .58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel and while it worked ok, it was not as good as some of the other lubes out there. Its kind of interesting to think they might have changed their forumula.

Of course, I do not use pre cut patches of any kind. I use a strip of pillow tick and some moosemilk lube on them.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh I don't think they've changed theformula of the lube itself...it's probably been mink oil all along...they've just always used a cover smell of wintergreen or pine scent
Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats odd to say the least. i just bought some TC patches about 5 months ago and mine are yellow and have that wonderful smell to them. something about that smell...i love it! lol

i hope they didnt change the formula...but to not have the smell and color youd think they almost had to???

my bore butter tube is about empty and i dont have many patches left...i better buy some of each if i find the original stuff around!!

have you used the new patches yet?? any differences you noticed??
Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Yes, in my.54+ .62cals and they are precisely the same...no difference whatsoever...they're just sort of white and don't smell like wintergreen
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Maybe they are offering flavors now... So you still use the pre cut patches Roundball. I am kind of surprised. With as much into the sport as you seem, I would have figured you for a patch cutter kind of person. I still have a lot of patches around the house, but with their age I would not really trust them anymore. They will go bad in time I was told if they are pre lubed. Is that true? Or maybe yours never get that old...

Actually I never minded the smell of the bore butter in Wintergreen. Also Hoppie's Gun solvent always used to have a nice smell. As did WD-40. I can remember my mother no being too happy about me and my gun cleaning smells in the house. Now Mink Oil, which is what we used to rub into our hunting boots (but the stuff we shoot I was told is different and do not believe that story), had a smell that I did not really care for.