Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke >

Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Default RE: Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Lonewolf. . . I gave Dixons a call this morning. . . .my parts ship today.

This guy is alright. Just said he would send the parts and when received then I should send back the funds. Nice to deal with folks that still understand customer service and the right way to do business.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tex...I see you have a new bolt on the way, but I was wondering...
What's wrong with the original bolt???
Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Hawkeye. . .the threads down at the end were messed up just enough where I could not get it to start. . .and I sure did not want to mess up that pressed in nut and have to deal with R&R on that item.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's cool, understand...I have built one from custom parts, just thought I might have a little insight to pass along...Good Luck, enjoy...
Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

After numerous fruitless phone calls, I sent the following e-mail earlier this weekto LYMAN's Vice President for Sales and Vice President for Operations. No response yet.

"I am a semi-happy purchaser of a LYMAN Mustang Breakaway rifle. I'm pleased with the gun, as you can tell from my on-line review at
http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/review-display/2868.html, but can't seem to get a straight answer regarding purchasing a breechplug for it.

I know LYMAN does not make separate breech plugs and barrels available for the Great Plains series, but surely that can't be the case for an in-line model. Every other in-line maker has extra breech plug available. The only answers I get from your customer service source is "breech plugs are not yet available" and "we are unable to provide a date when they will be available".

Really, this is not acceptable for a company of your stature.

I am a member of several muzzle loader on-line forums and correspond with other new Mustang owners. This is an issue of concern to all.

Please, help us here."

Bye the way - I called Dixon's about a breech plug. They deal with "traditional" guns only, and haven't even heard of a LYMAN in-line.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane - welcome to the forum. Great to have you hear. That's was an excellent review of the rifle. I have wanted to find some first hand experince about the rifle. From the pictures, it is a beautiful rifle. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle but not one of their inlines... good to have you here, and good luck with your rifle.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Lyman Mustang Breakaway inline late last year, and it's a very nice looking and handling rifle. My experience with Lyman is limited, I do have a Plains Pistol I've shot for years with no problems.
I got the new inline right at the start of our deer season so I was in a hurry to get it in operation. I slapped a Leupold 2-7 scope on it and headed for the range. The only bullets I had on hand were 300 gr Hornady XTP sabots. At 100 yards about a 2" group, not great but good enough to get to hunting if I watched my range. I also found I didn't have enough adjustment with the scope bases/mounts to get the eye relief I needed. Couldn't get the scope close enough to my eye for a full field of view.
This spring I decided to play around with it and find some good loads. I like to shoot 100 grains of loose pyrodex or 2 pellets for hunting. I took the scope off to sight in the fiber optic sights in case I ever needed a backup sight. It wouldn't zero! With the rear sight set at it's lowest setting I was still 4" high at 50 yards. I called Lyman and they told me the rights were regulated with 150 grain loads and no other sight options were available! [:@]
I went back to the range to shoot some more and after a couple shots with lighter bullets (250 gr.) I opened the action and the little magnet on the breech plug that keeps primers tight was stuck to the breech face in 2 pieces! - Called Lyman and they sent me a replacement.
Got the replacement a couple weeks ago and headed back to the range. Got set up at the bench, fired one round and started to reload. Rammed the bullet home and the ramrod snapped off at the tip! [:@]
Called Lyman and a new ramrod is supposedly on the way to me, but I haven't seen it yet in almost 2 weeks.
My overall impressions are that it is a decent rifle, but nothing to really brag about. The trigger was horrible, but some careful stone & polishing work improved it. The scope mount system is not favorable to compact scopes (I finally found an old Leupold M8-4X fit OK). The accuracy is acceptable for hunting, but it isn't a "tack-driver" by any means with any of the loads I've tried yet. I can get around 2" groups @ 100 yards with most loads, but haven't gotten much better than 2" yet. Most inlines I've owned will do better than that!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey WABI! I wonder why LYMAN can send you a replacement breech plug, but can't find one to sell to me?

My trigger was not very good either. I put a little fire lapping compound on the bearing surfaces for one range session, and it smoothed out nicely.

I never did try the fiber optic sights. Put a Leupold 3X9 Veri-X II on it about twenty-minutes after I took it out of the box, and never looked back. No problems with eye relief.

I don't use the wood ramrod at the range. Wood rods do that sort of thing with heavy use - especially ones with brass fittings on the ends. Go with fiberglass, steel, or aluminum at the range.

I can't get better than 1 & 1/2 to 2 inch groups with sabots either. But, oh man, do Hornady Great Plains lead conicals shoot great. I shoot the 410 grain ones over 100 grains (volume) T-7 FFFG and get one ragged hole at 100 yards. Don't know the velocity. I killed my chronograph with a sabot to the face a couple of range sessions back.

Overall, I like this gun a lot.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

A 410 Hornady Great Plains over 100 grains of powder, there is no need to worry about the velocity. Anything that devil hits is going down.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well CAYUGAD, 100 grains under a 410 grain bulletmight seem like a lot, but there are rumors of a predator problem on our hunting lease and you can't be too careful.

Of course, this was quite a while back. But, it seems as though one of the founding members of our club, a fellow named Gork, or Grak, or something like that, came across a T-Rex up in the Northeast corner, around the old cypress swamp. Now, he had one of those modern in-lines (you know, the ones where your sharp stone is on the end of a long stick) but still didn't feel adequately armed to take on the Rex. Poor guy had to spend half the night huddled in a hollow log.

Sure, no one has spotted the big lizard for quite a while, but you know how it is. Those old males can really hide and you never know they're there. That's why I like my smokepole to pack a punch - JUST IN CASE!

Quick Reply: Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.