Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke >

Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Hate to post such thing but these Lyman guys are wearing me out. . . .

Wanted to buy traditional type ML and settled on the GP family. After visiting two different stores and looking at what they offered I find poor fit and finish and 3 or 4 guns and figure why not just buy a kit then. . . .

1st kit, I find after 4 hours of shaping that the stock has a crack inside where it was hard to notice, My bad, Sportsmans wharehouse was real nice, exchange gun and start over, no biggy.

2nd kit, things had been going well until I tried to install the TANG bolt. . .

So I figure why not just order the new tang bolt and a few other items to have around.

So now after a month and call every week to Lyman I am told that Lyman has NO Parts to fill my tiny screw oder in America. I must wait for the next container to come arcoss the ocean. . .

They now suggest that I might get my bolt in MAY. . . . .

To add insult to injury the lady at Lyman USA says is not their problem that Lyman has not sent them their parts yet. I politley explained that SHE is the voice of Lyman and the SHE at this point is the LYMAN acting customer service person. When I asked why we can't just pull that parts from another kit I am told they have no KITS in america at this time. . . .Am I missing something here?[:@][:@][:@][:@]

NEVER AGAIN. . . . . . .

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM

Default RE: Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

buy american?

edited to be more polite...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait until you buy a bad mould from them. [:@]
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

The only thing I needed from them for my Trade Rifle was the thimble rib screws. The rifle came and when I pulled the ramrod out, someone forgot to tighten them so they fell out (in the grass outside). I found a couple but needed two more. I called them and they told me basically the same thing about no parts in stock, but two weeks later they showed up at my house for free.

As for the fit and finish, I admit the finish could be better. I ended up waxing the stock because the varnish felt sticky. So I took mineral spirits, wiped the stock down good. Let and dry, and just waxed the stock. It all seems fine now. And the rifle is a good shooter.

But I can sure understand why you would be upset with them at this point.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

TEX: TRY DIXON'S IN PA PHONE NUM,BER 610-756-6271
DIXION IS LYMAN REPAIR SHOP IN THE NORTH EAST AREA
I HAD A GPR AND NEEDED A FEW SMALL PARTS HE HAD IT AND WAS NO CHARGE
Old 04-09-2007, 02:15 PM

You're not the first complaint ive read. Lots more on the traditional site. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope everything works out in the end.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Well thought I would try to email Lyman today instead of the weekly phone call. The email provided with my order doesn't even work. . . .

Isn't that nice. . . .[8D]
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

TEX: HERE A POST FROM ANTHER FOURM SEEM THE GUY WENT THREW DIXION IN PA.

Just got back into central Jersey from Dixon's Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA. Took one of my two .50 cal. Lyman Trade Rifles (both percussion) in due to a crack in the stock. The crack ran along the left side with the wood grain, on the opposite side from the caplock, about four inches across to where the breech hooks in.

As soon as I uncased the rifle, Greg Dixon said "Let me have a look at it". Ten to fifteen minutes later, as I was looking over the assortment of new & used rifles on display, he calls me over to the counter. "Here you go Dave, I put a new stock on it for you" . I was just totally amazed! Greg had switched the stock to one that looks even nicer, transfered the tang, barrel, furniture, peep sight, lock, etc. and I got a new end cap and a new butt plate to boot .

Then I said, "how much for the new stock?" and Greg says to me "no charge, Lyman will cover this". I was blown away! Never have I ever received while-you-wait service for a gun repair! And covered by a warranty too!

I am truly thankfull that I picked Dixon Muzzleloading Shop to buy my BP supplies. This store was reccomended to me by several other members of the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club's BP League. Even though it's about a 1.5 hour drive, it's well worth it!

I can't speak highly enough about the prompt, courteous service I received! They stand behind what they sell!

Still a bit in shock,

Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 PM

Sorry to hear about that! I thought they were a great company. Maybe they're not as great as I expected.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Crap!
I hate to hear that about Lyman. I have a Trade Rifle and couldn't be more pleased. I hope nothing breaks. I don't want to have to go through what you are.[&o]

Quick Reply: Lyman, quality & customer service, a Joke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.