Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lightfield sabots

Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lightfield sabots

Have any of you tried the Lightfield gold 300 gr sabots that came out last yr?
All lead.
I didn't get the chance and plan to do so. There shotgun slugs are great sellers and I think an all lead non plated bullet would be great in a sabot. Should give max expansion @ all ranges..
SHills
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lightfield sabots

SHills, very little awareness of them out here. Give them a try and let us know. I've concluded 'till I get a faster twist I'm pretty well hung on Sabertooth and PRB.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1980615
Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

yeoman,
Didn't realize you did a post about them. Based on some of my own tests and some reading I'm real curious if they are good shooters, how they group,what happensto the tissue and how work on deer.
From what I'm reading lead is the way to go and w/the sabot it is not not a mess in the barrel. Based on reports of fragmentationfrom other lead bullets it should be interesting.
I do have to find a new range. My current club only allows a guest 3 times and then they are to join or not show up again. I have an issue w/ that and a few other things soI need to start looking...
SHills
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

SHills - -they looked interesting to me also and not too expensive for a hunting bullet. Were you the one who has the range where you to have someone with you?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Yeoman,
Negative, I can shoot alone and have a magnetic pass key but I can not bring a guest more than 3x legally. That rubs me the wrong way. Been a member there 2 yrs. Even shooting side by side off the same bench, LH/RH the guest can't shoot when I'm shooting.I can live w/that rule. I already am a life member (7 yrs)@ a local skeet/trap club but our land won't allow pistol or rifle. In FL we had a local 600 meter range! I was a menber of the Spaceport rifle range for 10 yrs. before moving North. There are4 other ranges locally (30-45 minutes). Due to Rochesters tough winter weather for a FL boy it would be nice to have it covered. Not a requirement just nice. 2of the 4 local ranges have a 200 yard distances. Unfornatually they are the most expensive. I do like the idea of 200 yrds for testing purposes. Though I don't shoot high power much anymore it would be nice to test out the 200 yrd claims on some of the BP rifles. Past 7 yrs all deer hunting w/a riflearm has been w/BP.
SHills

Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

SHills - you give me an idea for a post...