Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A surprise cleaning the rifle >

A surprise cleaning the rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A surprise cleaning the rifle

Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A surprise cleaning the rifle

Today after I shot my CVA Staghorn Magnum which hasa nickel barrel, I had some metal flakes come out of the bore while cleaning. A while back the same thing happened but I do not remember what rifle I was cleaning that time. This time, I ran some Birchwood Casey #77 on a patch down the bore and it came out with gray colored metal flakes on the patch.

The more patches I ran, the more metal looking flakes and speckles came out the barrel. I really had no idea what these flakes and speckles could be. They looked like metal flake for better words of describing them. Whether it was part of the barrel I am not sure.

Today I was shooting some powerbelts. But only shot off four of them.

The powerbelts actually shot real well with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I also shot some Speer Gold Dot 270 grain at the lower left bull. While not a real impressed group, it was the best the rifle and I could do.

I also shot some 405 grain Remington FP copper coated. I shot them with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS also. They did real well until I had to push the issue and shot a fourth, it hit with the powerbelts. Otherwise that was a real impressive group as well.

My final steps of cleaning was.. J-B bore pasted the barrel, then scrubbed it with some Butch's Bore Solvent and a brush. It then cleaned up real well after that, and all the flakes stopped showing up. I really have no idea what the metal flakes and speckles were. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:14 PM

Default RE: A surprise cleaning the rifle

Could have been lead build up or maybe nickel got into the barrel from the factory and its just now loosening up.

I get something like that now and then out of my flintlock but its tiny Red flakes. Now that really makes me scratch my head.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Absolutely no clue.. That is weird.
SHills

Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Thosered chipsin a flintlock is oxidation from a combination of humidity and the powder burning. If the humidity is right, you will notice it in the pan of the rifle as well after you shoot. It wipes right out. I get them all the time.

That flake in the rifle today, really did have me puzzled.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Have not had that happen to me yet, but my very first thought, was shaved lead from conicals and after reading FG's thoughts very possible some nickel coating could have come off in the bore. About the only way you might know is have a flake analylized and/or a bore scope to look at your bore.

I have seen some nickel guns that the nickel was has cameoff the outside in flakes... Both of my A&H's are nickel, but like I said I haven't seen anything yet from or on them.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it was strange when I first spotted the flakes. I really was stunned. I figured a few solvent patches would fix it. Well the flakes got smaller, but kept showing up like glitter on the patch. That's when I broke out the bore paste.

I think I will shoot the rifle again next week just to see what happens, Maybe even send an email off to CVA and see what they have to say.

One other thing now that I think of it.. some of the buttons off the powerbelts traveled over 25 yards down range before coming to rest on the new snow. I was kind of surprised they made it that far. They sure grouped well though.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Cayagad,
I have seen cad and chrome plating come off steel but never nickel except on a few very old pistols exteriors. It does seem odd. If you know someone w/ a borescope that would be neat.I have used a few Olympus ones for photographing inside rocket turbo pumps and they are neat! Mabe a local college! I'm sure if the trigger assy and stock was off they might inspect it for you.
SHills
Old 02-18-2007, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My final steps of cleaning was.. J-B bore pasted the barrel, then scrubbed it with some Butch's Bore Solvent and a brush. It then cleaned up real well after that, and all the flakes stopped showing up. I really have no idea what the metal flakes and speckles were. Any ideas?
It's nickel coating in the barrel. I had a nickel plated traditions that did the exact same thing. I would be shooting and during the swab I would get flakes on the patches. Eventually it will all come out.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It's nickel coating in the barrel. I had a nickel plated traditions that did the exact same thing. I would be shooting and during the swab I would get flakes on the patches. Eventually it will all come out.
That's good to know. When I first saw them it kind of took me by surprise. Well then I guess I just have to shoot that thing more.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

but kept showing up like glitter on the patch
I think that word glitter tells you alot - nickel coat...

some of the buttons off the powerbelts traveled over 25 yards down range before coming to rest on the new snow.
I am not to surprised, my hunting partner shoots PB's from his Hawken and the colder it gets the farther down range we find the buttons. It seems quite common to find the 15/20 yards down range. He does NOT pull and lube his gas seals - just shoots them as they come from the package + he is shooting 100 grain T7-3f... probably gives them quite a burst of energy...

Quick Reply: A surprise cleaning the rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.