Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader? >

Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

Old 12-16-2002, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

I shoot fff exclusively in my Renage .54 w a patched round ball. Use a solvent I bought some time ago or plain old rubbing alcohol. Don't get near the stink that hot water brings on and the gun cleans up quick. Finish up with a WD40 patch down the bore. Never had a single problem. My $.02
Old 12-17-2002, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coondog is correct. You can't overdo the WD-40 or you will have a gummy mess. Merry Christmas to all! I hope Santa brings you all a new BP gun for Christmas.

Old 12-17-2002, 10:41 AM

WD-40 A NO NO... I WAS TOLD WD-40 CAN AND WILL CAUSE A LACQURE BUILD UP AND WILL DEADEN PRIMERS. SOME POLICE DEPARTMENTS WILL REPREMAND OFFICERS IF CAUGHT USING IT.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Spike

Ok guys its seems I have stirred up a big pile. I just used it as a starter solvent. I sprayed it down the barrel then chased it with some patches. After I got the barrel clean I sprayed Rem oil in it. Since I have an Encore the WD-40 only touched my barrel. Think I will try the rubbing alcohol next.
Thanks for your replys

Old 12-18-2002, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I got my first muzzleloader about 1964, a Dixie kit that I put together, an old "Kanoozer", which is what they BP guys called themselves back then, told me that the mountain men cleaned their Hawkens by pouring a couple of quarts of boiling water through the barrels, dried them with "tow", then oiled them with sperm whale oil or bears oil. I still think plain water is the best solvent for BP, but pouring boiling water through the barrel is a real pain! I have never tried rubbing alcohol. It might be OK. I have found that the Shooters' Choice Gel is good. The TC No. 13 stuff has given me after-rust. It does not seem to get all the fouling out, and is particularly bad when used to clean Pyrodex fouling!

Keep yore powder dry!!