Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader? >

Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

Old 12-07-2002, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

I was cleaning my Encore and thought I would try spraying WD/40 down the barrel. Guess what it works great. I still went followed up with a black power solvent. It works good to start with and cheaper than gun cleaners. Now my question. Is this a good idea or not?

Old 12-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

WD/40 and guns don't mix. if you are able to get all out right away it maybe fine, but never leave it on or in the gun.

I clean my barrel with hot/soapy water. Then follow up with hot water and dry patchs. Pretty cheap as well. When I store it I will put some rem oil in it to prevent rusting. Rhen when I plan to shoot dry patch it and some hot water, then dry patch. Done this with my current ML for 5 years, no rust or pinting.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

NEVER USE WD-40 ON GUNS! For muzzleloaders, water is the BEST solvent for ALL muzzleloader propellant fouling!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I clean mine with soap and water, then dry thoroughly. After that I use WD-40. I've never had a problem with rust.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use WD40 on all my rifles, CF, RF, and muzzleloaders. I use a fine gun oil on triggers and bolt internals. WD40 will help to get lead out of a barrel about as well as anything I've tried. Keep it away from triggers, scopes, and primers/caps (for any ammo) and you should have no problem. Remember it's important to clean the oils from a rifle barrel before firing - I just use dry patches for that. I've even gone beyond Coondog's practices and use it as a preservative. Haven't a speck of rust on my rifles. And no crud buildup.

Great stuff if used sparingly.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:34 PM

I have used WD40 on my guns for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem.I don't know why you see all the time to not use it on guns.<font size=5>Why Not???</font id=size5>
if it ain't broke,don't fix it. I use rem oil on the triggers.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I CAN tell you why WD-40 is not good on guns!! It tends to collect in areas like the insides of trigger mechanisms, etc., and, after the carrier evaporates, it gums up. Over a long period of time, this can be detrimental. Additionally, it is very penetrative, and kills powder and primer compounds very fast! There are document instances of dead ammo in police weapons attributable to WD-40, which came to attention during gunfights!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coondog, you are certainly right about the common sense part!! BUT, reading some of the posts on these boards, common sense ain't always all that common!! I hope Sam Taylor will forgive me for stealing his response from another board.... Granted, this is not muzzleloader specific, but the principle applies!!
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>In addition to the other problems mentioned, a friend of mine who gunsmiths for a living tells me that WD-40 is his best friend. He spends quite a bit of time dealing with lever actions and semi-autos that are simply gunked up to the point that they no longer function properly. When the distillates evaporate, what's left is the viscous gook that collects dust and other grime that only makes matters worse.

The name of W-D 40 comes from &quot;water displacement, 40th trial&quot;. It amazes him that firearms owners think of using this product rather than a product designed specifically for use in firearms. Gene refers to W-D 40 as the &quot;Gunsmith's Friend&quot;.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Keep yore powder dry!!

Edited by - eldeguello on 12/14/2002 11:02:14

Edited by - eldeguello on 12/17/2002 07:56:12

Quick Reply: Use WD/40 to clean muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.