Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Faster way to clean muzzleloader? >

Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

It is getting to be a pain coming home and cleaning my muzzleloader. It seems to take a while. How doese foaming bore cleaner work? I am using Goex FFG. Now I remove the barrel and use a bucket of hot soapy water. Anyone know of a faster way to clean? I really want to get the breech are clean. Would it work to plug the nipple and fill it with something to let it soak for a little bit and then rinse it out and run a few patches? What would I use?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

I tried a lot of ways to clean a traditional rifle and still the fastest way and best way is with a bucket of soap and water. This is a sport that unfortunatly is one that after the fun you DO have to clean the rifle and get it clean... I'm afraid that you're just stuck with the duty unless you can talk someone else into doing it for you..
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM

It doesn't have to be hot, but I use 8 tablespoons of Palmolive Dishwashing liquid to 1 Gallon of water. Ileave the last fired cap on the nipple and I fill the barrel with the solution. I put the cleaning rod with patch on it into the barrel, then open hammer and push the solution through the nipple to the ground. Stroke it numerous times and then dry patch til clean and dry. Then patch with Break Free CP3 Lube, clean exterior and store. Simple Green has been recommended by many, but I haven't tried it yet 'cause my solution works so good and I have plenty.Good Luck!!![8D]
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I have always used hot soapy water, I don't have any real dissagrrements with the above post on the initial cleaning. However, after cleaning with soapy water, I do run some almost boiling water through it. Feel better about it cleaning out any soap residue, and the heat causes the barrel to dry faster. Then run some dry patches through, a little oil and I am done.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

It is getting to be a pain coming home and cleaning my muzzleloader. It seems to take a while. How doese foaming bore cleaner work? I am using Goex FFG. Now I remove the barrel and use a bucket of hot soapy water. Anyone know of a faster way to clean? Thanks
The problem is that to clean a ML properly (completely) you have to partially dismantle it, and that is what takes the time! I can clean a barrel very quickly using two quarts of boiling water,four or five clean, dry patches, plus a cleaning rod with a jag tip. But I have to either remove the barrel from the stock, and/or take out the nipple (or breechplug, on an inline) before pouring the water throughthe bore. Taking nipples out, or removing breechplugs, cleaning up the small parts, then oiling and reassembling all the parts is what makes it a time-consuming exercise, not just getting the fouling out of the bore. It takes me about half an hour to completely clean up one sidelock rifle, either flint or percussion. Maybe a little less time for an inline.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't think of even one sport that doesn't require some effort & clean up.
Laying on a couch watching a sport isn't a sport. Part of the fun is still remembering the fun day while cleaning the gear.

Al
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter
When I use 777 at the range & just fired my last round, I loosen the breechplug of my Omega several turns- then run a 3"oily patch down the bore that's inside a small spray bottle I carry around.

I now have two weeks to clean that ML.... so really, there's no hurry!

==========================================

If I'm using a sidelock, instead of unscrewing the breechplug, I loosen the nipple one complete turn & spray oil on a 3" patch. I will wipe all around the nipple area - then run a patch of oil down the bore -- again, that now allows me two weeks to clean that ML.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i tkae all the componets like the firering pine and the spring ect. and soak them in hot water and spray alittle of wd40 in there and let it sit over night then wipe with the brush and rub with some patches and it looks good as new. There is alot of ways i have tried but this one seem to work for me. I have a black Diamon and an Omega and it seems to work fine with both guns. The only disatvantage is that you use alot of wd40.

Goodluck, bowhunter818
Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter Anyone know of a faster way to clean?
Yeah, sell theol'smokepole and buy a Savage 10ML-II to shoot smokeless through and your cleaning issues are solved!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Scrub faster...

Quick Reply: Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.