Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I gotta vent. bullet prices >

I gotta vent. bullet prices

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I gotta vent. bullet prices

Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I gotta vent. bullet prices

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

500 at a time, my Bull Shop conicals cost about 22 cents each. Shoot great!

I cast (some several bullets possible)and just can't see doing it myself for that price. http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/bullshop.jpg Picture shows just some of the pure lead conicals Dan can produce for the muzzleloader shooter. He can vary the sizing, lube used, and has other styles and weights. Shipped and delivered from Alaska, my last 500 bullets cost just about $112 total.

These bullets are just great on large animals, I have shot a large elk with the 460 grain and penetration was excellent, I shot a couple elk with 348 powerbelts, while they died the only part I found in the elk was the green skirt. The bullshop are far more accurate than powerbelts in my .504 U-M
Redclub

I'm sure Dan can also produce a number of bullets which would be perfectly suitable for use in sabots although I have no use for such abominations of nature.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM

You guys that complain about cost should take up duck hunting for a while, you'll think ML'ing is dirt cheap after that. My 12ga duck loads cost me a little over $2.00 every time I pull the trigger. Sabot slugs will run you $2.00-$3.00+ as well, my 25-06 bullets run between $30-$40 a box. With all the time money and effort I put into hunting I cant see skimping on the most important thing. Granted, for recreational shooting I would go cheap but never for hunting.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

RC, stop doing that!

Crimson, it is a well known fact that duck hunters must be completely insane from the get-go.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Crimson, it is a well known fact that duck hunters must be completely insane from the get-go.
You better believe it, the most fun you can have fully clothed is waiting thirty minutes before sunrise,, after standing in 35* water setting out 150 decoys, its parially snowing, partially raining, the winds are blowing at 30 mph and every deer hunter has rolled over in bed because of bad weather.. Meanwhile im drinking coffee anticipating the first flight and more giddy than a kid on X-mas eve!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:26 PM

You forgot about the part where you trip over a submerged stump while setting the decoys and filling your waders up with water.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Spike

you can thank china for that buying up the lead scrap lead 1700.00 a ton i like to to shoot trap but shot is 35.00 a bag now
Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like it as it used to be, prb fer 10 cents and less and REAL's about the same. I am not a long range shooter 125 is my max with my Renegade or GreyHawk 50's.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Im not sure what you guys are paying but TC has upped their price on their tc maxi hunter bullets, $12 for 20! $3 more and i could have bought my powerbelts, if they would have had them in stock. I picked up a box of maxi hunters in 350 grain and a box of great plains bullets in 385 grain. Seeing how they only had one box of each, i figured i'd try them both out tomorrow and see how they do. Even the damn sabots were high priced in the $13 range for 15. Powder was the same price, $14 for pyrodex rs.

Outdoorslover, i just got your pm and thank you, i'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Also be sighting in tomorrow, with the old sights, but also ordering my new sights tomorrow. ahhh such a busy day!
Try the Speer Gold Dot 300g (or whatever) with Split Rib Sabot. Here is expansion on a FL doe in PA, bone hit. Cost is $15 for 50. Chap Gleason

Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I paid $24.50 for the last 100 count box of 240gr. Gold Dots I bought. $15.35 for the last 100 count of HP XTP 230gr. I bought and the same price for the 100 count HP XTp's 240gr.
$8.35 per 50 count for the last sabots I bought.
Buy in bulk for get the pre packaged stuff, saves money.

Al
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 PM

i cant use sabots in colorado so they do me no good. Its either powerbelts or the maxi hunters out of the winchester. Now that i have great sights, i need to find the most accurate bullet combo.