Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit? >

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Any of them can blow up.........Just ask Toby Bridges....
A while back someone posted the photograph documenting the harm it did to his face. Poor guy,it really must have hurt. I never want anything like that to happen to anyone, me especially.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Spike

Ok guys,
Newbie here so go easy on me, I got a Kodiak Mag. for x-mas this year and it came with 245 gr. powerbelt bullets and 777 pellets. (.50 cal) I read the manual about max charges etc., have shot it about 12 times using 3 pellets(150 grains).
I have read the hoopla about the gun and the crappy bullets, now my main concern is if I am living on the edge as far as the charge goes. From my readings on here 150 pellets of pyrodex is not as strong as 150 pellets of 777. Is 150 grains of 777 pellets not safe or recommended???
Thanks,
Matt.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitty

Ok guys,
Newbie here so go easy on me, I got a Kodiak Mag. for x-mas this year and it came with 245 gr. powerbelt bullets and 777 pellets. (.50 cal) I read the manual about max charges etc., have shot it about 12 times using 3 pellets(150 grains).
I have read the hoopla about the gun and the crappy bullets, now my main concern is if I am living on the edge as far as the charge goes. From my readings on here 150 pellets of pyrodex is not as strong as 150 pellets of 777. Is 150 grains of 777 pellets not safe or recommended???
Thanks,
Matt.
Matt 777 pellets are "supposed to be" equivalent to pyrodex pellets. Loose is different. I wouldn't use 3 pellets, there is no need, its expensive, and you will be driveing those lightweight PBs too hard. Is it safe? Loaded properly I think it is but I still wouldn't do it. 100 grains, even less is sufficient and provides sufficient trajectory to 120 in benign wind conditions.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

In the CVA manual for break actions http://www.cva.com/warranty/OptimaWarrBook.pdf

theTable1that deals with the minimum and maximum charge of powder mentions that the "Pellet" minimum and maximum is 50 and 100, then it also lists "Magnum Pellet" maximum is 150.

Is this just their way of showing to use 100 grains max unless the rifle can handle magnum loads ... then 150 grains of pellets is OK?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kabic

In the CVA manual for break actions http://www.cva.com/warranty/OptimaWarrBook.pdf

theTable1that deals with the minimum and maximum charge of powder mentions that the "Pellet" minimum and maximum is 50 and 100, then it also lists "Magnum Pellet" maximum is 150.

Is this just their way of showing to use 100 grains max unless the rifle can handle magnum loads ... then 150 grains of pellets is OK?
Kabic,

If the logic fits . . . I think thats what I am reading when I read it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

whitty, I use that load in my Omega except I use Pryodex the 777 pellets were made to be the " equivelent" of Pyrodex pellets.
As for using245 PB with a 150 gr load they make good varmit bullets" and you can call CVA and ask them for deer they will work all right if you use 75 to 90 all though some get by using 100 gr I would suggest that the 295 is a much better deer bullet, a 300gr xtp in a sabot or a conical also would do well. Lee

Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info! I plan on shooting up the rest of the power belts just to get in some range practice/get used to the gunand then switching to a better bullet for next fall.
I plan on getting several bullets and playing around with bullet/grain combos to find the best one for me, I was just worried I was overpowering my gun w/ 150 pellets of 777.
So far just getting my feet wet has been a blast Even though it is more expensive I believe I'll stick to pellets for now to try and keep things simple! Any other tips welcome,
Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

And one final little note: 100grains of powder does not mean ALL POWDER THAT IS OUT THERE! Some of the synthetic powders, like Tripple Seven and Black Mag'3 for instance make higher pressure with the same volume of load that black powder makes. Be very sure that the load you are using is recommended for your rifle.
Keith, 100 grains of 2f 777 is not prohibited. It is an allowed load. If you don't believe read a manual.
I understand what you are saying but the point I tried to make; apparently not too well, was many of the manuals say 100grains or 150grains of pellets is the max load. If you try to make that equal 100grains loose 3f or 150grains loose 3f things are not the same. That is why I said make sure the load you are using is recommended for your rifle. Especially the newer owners that have not had a lot of time with the sport might be confused.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

As soon as I went from 100 to 150 gr. of powder in my CVA buckhorn I lost 2-3 inches to my group at 100 yds.

I have shot with 150 gr. when I first got the gunbut learned that it dosent work the best with the bullets I use.So even if it is safe I wouldnt usemore than 100 gr. due to accuracy.

To prevent double balling I keep a rubber band around my stock at all times. When I leave the field if I have not shot the gun I wrap the band around the barell so I am sure to notice it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph
To prevent double balling I keep a rubber band around my stock at all times. When I leave the field if I have not shot the gun I wrap the band around the barell so I am sure to notice it.
I marked my range rod for 80 grains plus a Hornady 240so I can just check with the mark.

Quick Reply: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.