Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! I am in a good mood today. I got to shoot the Omega. I can tell you one thing after todays shooting--it is twice the gun the Apex is!

I shot it three times at fifty yards and got it sighted in! The first two were low and right so I adjusted. The third was just low so I adjusted one more time. The next five shots made a tight little circle around the bullseye--all touching. It was about a 2 inch group. One thingI can tell you is I was feeling pretty good right then. I knew right away that this gun was a more accurate ML. I knew it was dead on anda little high at 50 so I decided to go for the ultimate test--I went to 100 plus yards. This also went well. I had some good shots and after a little shooting starting getting some good groups. It turns out that if it's dead on at 50 it'll be about 3 inches low at 100. I had a tight group just low at the end--about two inches. I had stray shots but this was before I shot a while.

I am extremely pleased. I know for sure that theApexhad a barrel problem. I started thinking it was me that was the problem and it's nice to have my confidence back. That Omega is one hell of a nice gun. I am much more pleased with it and feel sure I made the right choice.

I found some other features I like better. It is nicer to load than the Apex.
It doesn't smack your fingers on the barrel cause it loads smooth for some reason. The action loosened up and now opens really nice yet snaps shut tight. The sights are definetely nicer and easier to see. The ramrod is a flawless simple thing and will last forever. The stock is wonderful as well. I could go on all day but I'll just say that I have absolutely NO complaints with this gun. It has no problems at all and seems a flawless piece of equipment. I am wonderfully satisfied and know I got the right gun.

Some more details---

It was windy today, probably 12 mph. It didn't affect the bullets noticeably. I swabbed between each shot.I used open sights of course. I had my good old load of 100 grains pyrodex, 300 grain XTP Mag sabots and CCI primers.

Iwill now state that the Omega is a much better deal and better gun than the Apex. The Apex seems wonderful until you get your hands on the top of the line product. It makes anything else a last resort. I recommend that anyone looking at guns save and buy the Omega. I don't want to argue about the whole thing. That's just my opinion.

I would post pics of the targets but I'm short on time. You'll just have to take my word for it. Thanks for all the help and encouragement from everyone.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing. The recoil is noticeably less than the Apex. That amazed me becausethe gunis lighter and I used the same load. I shot it 20 times though and have a big bruise, but it's all good. I've still got plenty of bullets. It came with some Shockwaves-250 grains and I will have to test them some time.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Glad you like your omega. When it comes to T/Cs, it doesn't take anyluck to get a good shooting gun. I shoot 120gr FFG and a 250gr shockwave in my Z5, and it shoots under 2" open, and tighter scoped.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM

no i dont think it was a barrel problem with the apex. i think it was more of an owner problem not willing to try different bullets made for that rifle. How did you send it back so fast? I would have loved to have shot that gun and shown that it was fine and that you have to be willing to try diff. combos.i've handled an omega before but wasnt impressed with its overall balance. Shame we couldnt have work out a deal on that apex.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Whether an Omega or an Apex, the main thing is you're happy with your rifle and have confidence building with the rifle now. That is a good first step. Good luck in the future with your rifle.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

This ad brought to you by Thomson Center (A Smith and Wesson company)

Just kidding enjoy your new Z5, mine was the best $109 I ever spent.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Did you get the Z5? I am also looking at buying an Omega I just sold my
Nef I am looking at the Stainless Laminate.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

There is nothing as important as confidence in your equipment... if you have questions and concerns it will alway be tough to accept the equipment. The best thing is you now know what it can do and some day when it doesn't do what you want you will know you can solve the problem...

A couple things that I would watch for... I am assuming you purchased the Z5 with a black synthetic stock... I purchased an Omega SS/Laminate stock a while back... I love the looks and the job it does, but to reduce weight a bit and to get a thinner stock I purchased a spare black synthetic stock which I put on the rifle and shot with, shot a lot with it and used it suring hunting season, did not want to ding up the wood stock. Well, here is MY problem, the recoil lug sockets in the wood stock are very deep and the recoil lugs fit some what snuggly into the sockets - now the synthetic stock - that is a different animal... the sockets are really shallow and their is no re-enforcement around them (front & back) the sides are supported by the stock. Somewhere along the middle of the hunting season I felt it was not shooting as well as it had.. (OK I missed a shot) I took the gun apart to check it and as I was looking at the stock - I was looking in at the bottom of the front lug pocket - it had fractured internally - there was a small crack running from one side of the stock to the other. It was not cracked all the way through on the sides or the bottom just a small fissure at the bottom - I could stick a straight pin in it a fraction of an inch - the front wall of the pocket was certainly stretched. Again remember I have shot this gun a lot... I called TC they didn't even hesitate "mail it in we will send you a new one" they did and I have it but I am going to glass bed (re-enforce) both lug pockets in the front and the back... I just wish they were deeper and thicker - it would have been easy for the factory...

Great gun - great shooter - great hunting gun - great gun to carry...

enjoy it...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM

It's the Omega Z5. Frontier Gander, for the last time, I took it back to the Cabela'sSTORE last night. They took it back no questions asked. One more thing I'll say is that any gun that picky about it's loads is not worth screwing with. Please explain why I got the Omega shooting great in 3 shots whenI couldn't do it in 60 with the Apex. I'm just wondering. MaybeI got a lemon--who knows. The only thing that matters to me is that I am perfectly happy and didn't have to break the bank. I think it was worth the xtra 60 bucks hands down. That's just my observations. I just returned some other stuff and didn't pay a penny more. Why on earth shouldn't I have done that? If you know please share.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated above, the most important thing is that you are happy and confident with your gun. Wish I could say the same thing about my Omega. Since I can only hunt with conicals, I am still looking for that "sweet spot" of correct bullet/powder combination. Just ordered a couple of different types of wads to try and see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.