HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega Update. Success at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

outdoorslover

There is nothing as important as confidence in your equipment... if you have questions and concerns it will alway be tough to accept the equipment. The best thing is you now know what it can do and some day when it doesn't do what you want you will know you can solve the problem...

A couple things that I would watch for... I am assuming you purchased the Z5 with a black synthetic stock... I purchased an Omega SS/Laminate stock a while back... I love the looks and the job it does, but to reduce weight a bit and to get a thinner stock I purchased a spare black synthetic stock which I put on the rifle and shot with, shot a lot with it and used it suring hunting season, did not want to ding up the wood stock. Well, here is MY problem, the recoil lug sockets in the wood stock are very deep and the recoil lugs fit some what snuggly into the sockets - now the synthetic stock - that is a different animal... the sockets are really shallow and their is no re-enforcement around them (front & back) the sides are supported by the stock. Somewhere along the middle of the hunting season I felt it was not shooting as well as it had.. (OK I missed a shot) I took the gun apart to check it and as I was looking at the stock - I was looking in at the bottom of the front lug pocket - it had fractured internally - there was a small crack running from one side of the stock to the other. It was not cracked all the way through on the sides or the bottom just a small fissure at the bottom - I could stick a straight pin in it a fraction of an inch - the front wall of the pocket was certainly stretched. Again remember I have shot this gun a lot... I called TC they didn't even hesitate "mail it in we will send you a new one" they did and I have it but I am going to glass bed (re-enforce) both lug pockets in the front and the back... I just wish they were deeper and thicker - it would have been easy for the factory...

Great gun - great shooter - great hunting gun - great gun to carry...

enjoy it...