Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How many use open sights vs scope >

How many use open sights vs scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many use open sights vs scope

Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many use open sights vs scope

I scope all my muzzleloaders except the flintlock and a couple of Hawkens. I am 68 years old and iron sights are not worth a hoot for me as they are just a big blur. I usually scope my elk rifles (an Omega and an NEF Huntsman) with 1.5-5 power Simons Pro-diamond scopes and usually leave them on 1.5 unless the shot is long and has time to spend changing the scope power. In the trees a 1.5 power scope is as quick to use as iron sights. Arizona allows scopes which is great for me.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

open sites here...actually all thats legal in the flintlock season. i did put TC fiberoptics on it because i have bad eyes...all these years i knew i needed glasses..just never got em finally did...still like the FOs over iron sights..i still think my contact prescription needs refined..glasses are sharp but i hate wearin them..contacts help but arent perfect..i wish peeps were legal i can shoot with a peep better then iron sights..
Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use open open sites on my Lyman, and a 3x9 Tasco on my Remington 700ml
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

open sites here...actually all thats legal in the flintlock season. i did put TC fiberoptics on it because i have bad eyes...all these years i knew i needed glasses..just never got em finally did...still like the FOs over iron sights..i still think my contact prescription needs refined..glasses are sharp but i hate wearin them..contacts help but arent perfect..i wish peeps were legal i can shoot with a peep better then iron sights..
this V-PEEP is legal..i put one on my .50cal hawkins muzzlleloader..it was a big improvement for my eyes.,

green fiber optic is best..you only want to see front sight clear not rear..it will be blurry some..

if you want rear sight real clear, have gunsmith move it TOWARDS the front sight..you may have to have him enlarge the v-peep hole as closer you go to front sight ,the more it fills hole..

i love mine and never would put scope on unless my eyes get worst..here is my friend that makes these sights..

www.rmcsports.com look under search using V-PEEP..