Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 question on bullet grain weight >

question on bullet grain weight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

question on bullet grain weight

Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default question on bullet grain weight

hello all,

just got thinking about grain weight. I shoot Powerbelts (245 gr.). I just sighted my dad's gun in with my left over 295 gr. PB. I switched to 245 gr because ..... (????). What are the pros/cons of the different weights - I know knockdown power is one and increased weigths = lower velocities. Just curious what others shoot and why. I am happy with the 245 gr. but ...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question on bullet grain weight

I think it's probably better to fit the bullet weight to what you gun shoots best. I get a lot better groups w/a heavier bullet (300gr). Where I hunt if I shoot 75yrds its a long shot so I don't really concern myself w/what the bullet does at 200yrds. You being from NY you probably have bigger deer than we do in VA so you might want something w/a little more foot lbs to it. People ask me similar questions all the time repowder charge or bullet weight and I just remind them that w/a well placed shot it doen't take a canon to kill a deer. Example: When I was 11 I killed my first deer w/a bow w/a 40lb draw.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

The heavy concial has more energy down range. If both are accurate, both should work. In my CVA Staghorn I shoot a 245 grain Aero Tip or the 348 grain hollow point. They are the most accurate. Since my shots are all close, I use the 245 grain and just place the shot.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:05 PM

A lighter bullet does not neccessarily mean higher velocities. The velocity of the bullet is derived from the pressure created in the barrel. Higher pressure tend to produce higher velocities.A heavier bullet is harder to push out of a barrel then a lighter one is, therefore creating more pressure as the powder is ignite. The more preesure therefore can creat higher velocities in a heavier bullet in the same caliber. I know it does not all add up, but there is some truth to it.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

My chrony has not agreed with that yet. Lee
Old 10-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

My chrony has not agreed with that yet. Lee
Mine either[8D]!

Aheavier bullet retains it energy longer, so downrangeit makes up ground on the lighterbut out of the muzzle or first stages..NOWAY! You are right about increased pressure with heavier projectiles but it does not = higher MV.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 250gr class for deer sized game. Reason trajectory gain, seem to have slightly better terminal performance (talking copper jacketedbullets here only) and accuracy. For elk, moose or bear I will bend on the above for deeper penetration so 300 class and up.

I admit I am not as versed as many here with all the different bullets, I have tried but seem to come back to the stand bythat have worked well in my Ml's in the past.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 AM

I imagine you are correct about what you are saying on MV. What I was refering to was down range velocities (based on physics theory only) as it is related to downrange energy and mass. MV is a nice number and all, but it is kind of a useless number 1 foot out of the barrell since most deer are not killed at such ranges. But I am not suggesting shooting through your chrony at 100 yards.