Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to ML, what do I need to know? >

New to ML, what do I need to know?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to ML, what do I need to know?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Spike

Default New to ML, what do I need to know?

I just started muzzle loading this year. I was out shooting tonight for the first time and it was a lot of fun. I am shooting a T/C Thunderhawk with 90grn fffg777 and 300 grn Keith noze hollow point Precision muzzle loading bullets. I sighted it in 1.5" high at 100 yds, where would I be at 150? 200?
I shot about 30 shots tonight, using a spit patch between shots, and cleaned it a couple times using bore cleaning solvent. When I was done I cleaned it out till the patchs came out clean...is there anything else I should do? Should I shoot a "fouling" shot before I go hunting with it?
The rut is starting to kick in, so it is gonna be fun to be in the woods..thanks for your advise.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Default RE: New to ML, what do I need to know?

If you are getting good groups with a clean barrel, theres no need to foul it before the hunt. You just need to practice and see what works best in your rifle.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Xs24-7

I just started muzzle loading this year. I was out shooting tonight for the first time and it was a lot of fun. I am shooting a T/C Thunderhawk with 90grn fffg777 and 300 grn Keith noze hollow point Precision muzzle loading bullets. I sighted it in 1.5" high at 100 yds, where would I be at 150? 200?
I shot about 30 shots tonight, using a spit patch between shots, and cleaned it a couple times using bore cleaning solvent. When I was done I cleaned it out till the patchs came out clean...is there anything else I should do? Should I shoot a "fouling" shot before I go hunting with it?
The rut is starting to kick in, so it is gonna be fun to be in the woods..thanks for your advise.

[hr]

Where you will hit out to 150 and 200 yards could only be guessed at. I think instead you should in all fairness, if you're considering such shots, get to a range and find out for yourself where they hit at those distances.

Other then that, if the first shot hits off a clean barrel where all the others hit, there is no need to fowl the bore before hunting. And it sounds like you're doing everything else right.

Good luck hunting...
Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

What GANDER and CAYUGAD said.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Xs24-7....Welcome to the fun sport of hunting with a muzzleloader. I have been into ML shooting/hunting since 1972. I own sidelock Percussion, Flintlock, In-line (both scoped and open sighted) and a few ML handguns. I have taken deer with most all of my rifles but Ienjoy the flintlock the most. I'm not dissing the others but the flintlock is the back to basics firearm that I enjoy. It's kinda like when you have taken a # of deer with a compound bow and then go back to a recurve or longbow. Something primal about it. I'm sure you will enjoy taking your 1st deer with your new ML rifle...but if you really enjoy hunting with a muzzleloader...eventually you are going to want more of a challenge. Go hunting.. have fun...but be open minded. Hunting with a muzzleloading rifle is what you want to make it. And remember...keep your powder dry!!!! ( that's a old time good luck statement )...........BPS
Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Welcome!!

My advice? Avoid the 150/200 yard shots if at all possible in the field. Sure, my Encore shoots pretty good groups at 200 yards with sand bags and a bench, but that is awful hard to replicate in the field. Shooting a ML 200 yards reminds me of an old football quote concerning a forward pass. Only 3 things can happen when you pass a football and 2 of them are bad. Well the same is true for sniping deer at long ranges with a ML
1. You get your deer (good)
2.You missed your deer and most likely educated that deer in a way
thatyou won't see him again this season (bad)
3. You woundthe deer (lives or dies ???) (very bad)

Now I am not saying that 200 yard shots are impossible, they just should not really be in the relm of a realisticML Hunter's mind. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Most experienced M/L hungers shy away from long shots. To me any shot at a deer at over 125 yards away is very iffy. My Encore is capable of shooting very small groups, even at 200 yards. Shooting small groups at 200 yards from a bench does not relate to conditions in the field. Too many things can go wrong: A short hangfire, an intervening branch, an imperfect sight picture, etc.

Monday evening of this week I deliberately shot a doe in the neck at about 80-90 yards with my Thompson Center Encore. She had bled out by the time I had climbed from my tree-stand and walked over to her. That is the way I like to do it, no tracking a blood trail at night.