Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Huntsman's First Outing >

New Huntsman's First Outing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Huntsman's First Outing

Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Default New Huntsman's First Outing

I finally got to shoot my Huntsman for the first time yesterday at a friend's hunting camp near me. It is the stainless steel model. This was not a "range" type setup at all. I just mounted a target on a piece of plywood about 40 yards down a trail through the woods. I didn't have any kind of bench rest and thus shot standing up "free hand". I do not have a scope and was using the plastic sights that came on the rifle.

I had cleaned the barrel and lubed up the breech plug before using the gun. My plan was to start out with 90 grains of Pyrodex pellets, run 5 shots through and then pull the breech plug and clean if necessary. I was shooting 240 grain XTP Mag Sabots. Some guys had suggested shooting conicals to smooth the bore, but I did not plan on using loose powder so I tried the copper plated TC bullets. After 2 shots I had a bad primer misfire. I finished the 5 shots, pulled the breech plug and swabbed out the barrel with a couple of Traditions EZ Lube cleaning patches. I didn't particularly like the clean up, so I used my 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and windshield cleaner. I had a box of 30 grain pellets and a box of 50 grain pellets. It was then that I noticed I had been shooting 3 50 grain pellets, when I thought I had been shooting 30 grain pellets. Oh well, it was hot and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. At least I proof tested the magnum load and lived to tell about it.

I only shot a total of 10 shots during the test. I shot some 90 grain loads and a couple of 100 grain loads with a couple of bullet types, both 240 grains one copper plated, the other was lead. I had 3 shots in the diamond in the center of my target, which I though wasn't too bad considering my eyesight at 53 years old and the sweat pouring off of me in the middle of the day in NW Florida.

The gun shoulders well and the recoil isn't bad with the nice pad on the stock. I'm no expert at triggers, but this one seems fine to me. The hammer cock and trigger pull seem smooth and quiet.

One question I do have is in regard to the primers. I was using Winchester W209 primers that I bought around December of last year. I had several, about 8 or 10 misfires, where the firing pin struck the primer with no "explosion". I'm hoping it is just a batch of bad primers, but is there a chance I have a firing pin problem? I'm using the supplied primer carriers and I used the same one for all of my shots. I'm thinking of getting a box of Kleanbore primers so that maybe I won't get the gun as nasty. Any suggestions, let me know. I plan on shooting again next weekend. I can't make my mind up if I want a scope yet. I may try to hunt some without a scope. Around here most shots would be well under 100 yards, but as stated above, my eyesight is not as good as it once was.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Huntsman's First Outing

It sounds like your rifle is shooting well, and that does not surprise me. It's a great rifle. As for the primer problem, I have never, and we are taking over 1000 primers of the Winchester W209 primers had a misfire with them. That is one reason I rely on them for most my shooting. Although I have tried the Remington Kleenbore Primers and like them a great deal as well.

I am not sure of the hammer, fireing pin design of the rifle you have but perhaps someone else could comment. I might suspect that perhaps the firing pin is not sliding smooth or the hammer striking hard enough. I really have not had any problems with the primers you mentioned...

I am sure there are other Sidekick owners that can help you out with that matter.... if not call or email NEF and ask them what might be causing that problem..
Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 AM

I have to say I have never seen Winchesters missfire either, and have fired many many. Not to say it can't happen. The quick check is to buy more primers. If the problem persists I would guess gun problems.

What part of Florida? I live Perry.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 AM

Ideaman, I live in Pensacola. I have been through Perry many times going down state. I have a daughter going to school in Palatka and I have made a few trips there in the past year. I work with a guy who came from Perry. I have made many trips to Tallahassee over the years to FSU home games. Happy Hunting in Perry!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is a slot on both sides of where the firing pin sticks out so the hammer can hit it. If you decide to check for burrs put a screw driver in that slot and carfully unscrew the plug remembering that their is a spring under it. Heavy grease burrs or any kind of trash in that area is not good. Lee
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM

The reason I ask where you live, our gun shop has closed down, but we still help people sight in. I would imagine any problems with a new gun would be better addressed by the manufacturer, but will be glad to help if we can.My grandfather is usually around Thur, Fri, all day and Sat till noon. 850-584-3746. Health sometimes interferes with work, hobby now, he just enjoys working.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

tj are you planning to use the 240 xtp MAGs for deer hunting?If so ,I tried them one year shot 2 bucks one at 20 yds.one at 30 yds useing them and 100 grs of pyro.Lost both to find one hours later and one of my brothers found one 3 days later,there was no blood at all from either one and both were hit just behind the shoulder,when found both had a pencil size hole all the way through,figured they didn't open up at all.Had killed a bunch of deer with the regular 240 xtp's before after that I didn't use a xtp mag again.
Just thought I would pass the info along,hate to see anyone loose a deer.
I shoot a savage now with a lot more fps but still don't think I would hunt with the mag in it.
As for primers have never had the win 209 to fail either I use them in my savages,in other muzzleloaders that take the 209's I use the reg CCI's
tried the klean bores in a encore awhile back and they worked fine too and even had less crud ring useing t-7.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tjcnole,

The primer misfires are caused by the primer carrier being crushed. If you look at the primer carrier, you will notice it is deformed and squashed relative to a new carrier. A primer carrier will last inversely to the amount of powder you use, really, by the amount of pressure your load develops. The blow back compresses the carrier, squashing it.

Noticed that you started with 150 grains powder. That explains why you didn't get much use out of that first primer carrier. 150 grainsin a new, rough bore, is a high pressure situation. Glad you were using light bullets with that. Do be careful.

Phil
Old 08-24-2006, 07:58 PM

Phil,

Great info, it sounds like you have experience with this. Can you elaborate?