Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NEW GUY TO HUNTING.NET NEEDS SOME HELP >

NEW GUY TO HUNTING.NET NEEDS SOME HELP

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEW GUY TO HUNTING.NET NEEDS SOME HELP

Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 AM

Default NEW GUY TO HUNTING.NET NEEDS SOME HELP

i just got a white mt. carbine back that i had sold to a huntin bud some 20+ yrs ago. he didn't clean and bore is shot. i bought a 21'' green mt. replacement barrel 1:28? i think is what i read in the inf. packed w/ barrel.
my ? are..
where would you start with load developemnt. sabots ? conicals? blk pdr is a pain to procure... which sub

which bullet / powder combohave you guys had good luck with?
short barrel/ fast twist=?
i'm a reloader and within my calibers of choice, there are almost always acouple loads thathaveshot well in about everything and tweek to great.
i'm hoping someone has already found/ knows a good place to start, i love the fun of tweeking but the search for those starters gets pricey.

i deer hunt iowa. i'm looking for whatever i can get for flat shooting reach. but accurate is my main objective. when i used to shoot this carbine it was a heavy buffalo 385 maybe, with goex ff, that thing had a trajectory like a rainbow, anchored them like lightning but if you misjudged yardage by a bit .. yadda yadda yadda
in reading the green mt. papers it said 100 gr. ff max and 300 gr conical bullet.
what sabot / pistol bullet combo for flat? or would a pr /dead center be the way?

you're suggestions would be welcome, i figure someone out there has already been there done that so ...if you would?

thanks
andy

Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 AM

Default RE: NEW GUY TO HUNTING.NET NEEDS SOME HELP

First of all, Welcome to the forum.

Sorry but I dont have any experience with the White line of rifles, but you have come to the right place.

There are several frequent posters here that do have lots of experience with them and I am sure will answer your questions pretty quickly
Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Hi - welcome.
I'm not familiar with the particular rifle you have. Is it a .50 cal or a .504 - or what?
I have a White Ultra Mag .504 and it likes almost anything I put down the barrel.
If you can shoot sabots there, probably almost any of the popular brands in the 240 to 300 grain range will do well. Obviously the lighter ones will shoot flatter with an equal powder charge. Also, many are now producing bullets with a spittzer "tip" on them to make them a bit flatter shooting. I like the Speer 260 grain HP in .45 cal. - inexpensive and works fine at the moderate ranges I hunt at. You may have to experiment with the brand and type of sabot to get the right fit - one that you can push in with your thumb and slide down the barrel with moderate pressure. No sense in having to force it down with two hands in my opinion. MMP makes real good sabots if your choice of bullet doesn't come with a sabot - and even if it does and it doesn't fit right, MMP will have one that will work for you. Harvester Crush Ribs may be the ticket if you're finding that standard sabots are too tight, or MMP's new 3-petal sabot is even thinner. I think you still have to ask them for it - it's still not on their advertising. If you have a .504, you may find that a .44 cal bullet will fit better than a .45. That sounds wierd, but in my experience, the .44 cal bullet/sabot combination ends up larger than most of the .45's.
If you need to use a conical and the 385 is too heavy for you, Bullshop has one that is 350, and Buffalo Bullets makes a Ball-et in 245 and 270 grain for .50 cal. There may be others out there as well. You sometimes will get a little better accuracy with a conical if you also use a wad between it and the powder. Wonderwad makes a good one and there are many others - you can even cut your own if you want. Do a search for a thread on that.
I like Triple Se7en Ffg loose powder, and would start with about 80 grains and work from there. Others have other favorites, but T7 cleans up well and has good accuracy in many guns.
Ask whatever questions you need to on here, there are lots of guys with information - - and everybody has an opinion.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome! If your replacement barrel is a standard .50, I'd try a 295-grain Power Belt and 120 grains of FFg equivalent for a starting load. If it is a true White bore size, it is a trifle larger than .500", so you could start with one of the White bullets. I have a Traditions .50, and it's bore is big enough that I can shoot White ".50 caliber" bullets from it. It really likes the big ol' White 440-grain flatbase! I use 90 grains of Pyrodex "P" with this bullet. It is accurate and powerful enough for game up to elk and moose.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

WPD4323 - first off, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you here.

As for the Green Mountain Barrel in 1-28 twist, I have one and it is a great shooter. In mine, there are a number of different loads that shoot very accurate. Of course we should remember that mine has a 28" barrel while yours only a 21" so the burning of powder in the two barrels and the efficiency they will achieve will be a little different. The shorter barrel can not burn a larger powder charge as efficiently as a much longer barrel, but all the same.. the twist and rifling cut I am sure are about the same so we can start there.

Try some 240 grain Hornady XTP or I personally like the T/C Mag Express Magnum XTP's which are the same bullet but come with their own different sabot. I like to shoot them with 90 grains of Goex 3f powder. I find in the fast twist barrels that a faster burning powder like the 3f grade just seems to work better. Your results may vary. I would start them off in that 21" at 80 grains and work up from there.

Another projectile that shoots well out of the rifle is a 370 grains Maxiball that I purchase from http://www.blackjackhill.com/ Black Jack Hill. I think he uses a Lyman Mold. I shoot them with 80 grains of Goex 3f and a wad. So far I have tested them out to 70 yards with the open sights and they have done real well. You might want to give them a try. A word of warning.. Black Jack Hill was back ordered quite badly a while back and it took for ever to get your order from him.

I also shot some Sabre Tooth 250 grain Conicals out of it with amazing results. I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f that day according to my notes. The trouble is I only had four left when I tested because I was playing with a different barrel and rifle that day, shooting off the Sabre Tooth Conicalsand they shot excellent.

Just recently I have been shooting 10mm 0r .40 caliber Hornady XTP's out of a blue MMP sabot. I have been loading 110 grains of Triple Se7en and 100 grains of Triple Se7en powder. The accuracy at the 50 yard station was exceptional. I have a lot more shooting to do with them but they show some excellent promise.

When I was shooting some of the Barnes Bullets, I got real good accuracy, but due to their cost, I just hate to shoot them off on the range. Also strange as it might sound, I was shooting Shockwaves out of the rifle and it shot all right, but nothing too exceptional. I think at 50 yards I was holding a 2-1/2 inch group. The rifle should do better then that at that distance. I think I need to play with some powder charges there as I might not have been pushing them hard enough. Also I ran out of Shockwaves and have not replenished my supply.

But I would start with the maxiball and a good lube. Shoot them all off. My bore in the Stainless Steel Green Mountain was a little ruff when I first got it. I shot off a lot of conicals and even gave it a J-B Bore paste and scouringpad treatment. After you have the barrel broken in, I would then try some of the XTP's although you barrel might be nice and smooth and you could start right off with the XTPs and get great results...

Again welcome to the forum and keep us posted on how your rifle shoots.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WPD4323

i just got a white mt. carbine back that i had sold to a huntin bud some 20+ yrs ago. he didn't clean and bore is shot. i bought a 21'' green mt. replacement barrel 1:28? i think is what i read in the inf. packed w/ barrel.
Have you received the new barrel & fitted the Green Mountain to the White Mountain Carbine stock?

I am just questioning the "drop-in" fit? Prior to your posting today, I just asssumed the only T/Cs that accepted those replacementbarrels were the Hawkens and Renegades.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Have you received the new barrel & fitted the Green Mountain to the White Mountain Carbine stock?

I am just questioning the "drop-in" fit? Prior to your posting today, I just asssumed the only T/Cs that accepted those replacementbarrels were the Hawkens and Renegades.
#910115 is a 21" 15/15th 1:28 twist Green Mountain Barrel is made for the White Mountain Carbine... I bet that will be a great shooter..
Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 AM

thanks to all for the advise,
i should have added it's a t/c white mountain carbine, with a green mountain 1:28 21'' replacement barrel, .50

when i installed it the fit was perfect, took a slight amount of preasure to line up for the wedge but nothing i thought was excessive. after removing the barrel and resetting the preasure was a bit less as if the hook and tang had just needed settle into each other. i'm betting after shooting it will fit as smoothly as the old barrel did.

thanks again
andy
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 AM

thanks for the ideas, the 10mm sounds like it could be great. i hunt a 5" sw 610 in 10mm and have gobs of 200 gr 10's around.
in a closed breech like i've got, do experience problems with sabot residue/ if so, how are you dealing with it.

i see you're from wi., where about's, i was born and raised there. i used to live in vilas county, north and east of phelps, our place was about a mile off the u.p.
thanks again
Old 08-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

thanks for the ideas, the 10mm sounds like it could be great. i hunt a 5" sw 610 in 10mm and have gobs of 200 gr 10's around.
in a closed breech like i've got, do experience problems with sabot residue/ if so, how are you dealing with it.

i see you're from wi., where about's, i was born and raised there. i used to live in vilas county, north and east of phelps, our place was about a mile off the u.p.
thanks again

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=678084

I have been shooting them in my Stainless Steel GMB using the blue MMP sabots. They really are shooting well with a good strong charge. I personally think they would make some bad medicine for a whitetail deer.

I'm originally from Madison. But I hunt all over the State. Actually anywhere I can get.. good luck with your rifle.