Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ?' s after first outing >

?' s after first outing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

?' s after first outing

Old 08-04-2003, 09:01 PM

Default ?' s after first outing

Just shot my new hunterbolt for the first time this weekend. This is my first muzzleloader so I have some questions.

First, when I snapped a couple caps thru it, I noticed sparks and smoke flaring from the breech. Once I actually fired several real loads thru it, I notices more breech flaring, and the shotgun primers were very deforme, (center blown back from the copper outside.) There is a gap of about 1/64 of an inch between the bolt and the breech plug. If I unscrew the breech plug about 1 turn, it fits tight, but then the breech plug isn' t snug. Should I leave it as it is? Is that gap and the flare ups normal? It makes me flinch a little, so if I could avoid it I would like to.

Secondly, I' m using triple 7 powder with 360 grain maxi hunters. I worked up to 80 grains of powder, the kick was light, and the patterns were ok, but I wasn' t shooting great. I' ll be hunting elk with open sights, so I won' t shoot over 100 yards. Do I need to increase the powder charge, or is this adequate for my situation.

I appreciate the advise. I' ve been hunting all my life, but this is my first time with a muzzleloader, and there is a learning curve I hadn' t expected.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ?' s after first outing

I don' t shoot the 209s, but from what I' d read from others, I imagine what you are seeing is pretty normal. I' ve heard some people even say the 209s will actually blow their bolt back [] . Changing to a different brand might help that some.

As far as your charge goes, you definitely have room to increase your powder. For instance, I use 80gr of 777 when shooting 300gr sabots and 90gr when shooting 350gr sabots or 385gr Great Plains conicals. So I would think that 85 or 90gr of 777 might tighten you up a bit. And for elk - the extra " Oomph" will probably come in handy.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I assume you are NOT having gas blown into your face when firing?? If so, then something is wrong. When I use 209' s in my Traditions inline, I see NO sparks and flash out of the breechplug area, but there is fouling on the bolt nose, so there is some flash getting out there. I use up to 120 grains of BP or Pyrodex RS with bullets like yours, but 777 is much more powerful, so 100 grains of that stuff would be max for me!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to leave the powder charge alone or at least not push it up more than 10 grains tops. More likely, you would see improvement by adding an overpowder wad or by switching to a different bullet.

eldeguello has offered you some solid advice about the amount of blowback/sparks you are seeing. Sounds like something is wrong to me as well.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I would have that looked at because sparks are not normal but some fouling is ok.I would start with the breech plug it should always be snug,there may be a defect with your gun. where did you get the gun?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:11 PM

I bought it online from Cabelas, and it is the new hunterbolt, with the heavier stock and 26 inch barrel. I only saw the sparks when popping the caps by themselves, but there was alot of fouling. After nine shots, practically every bit of the stainless steel bolt was black with powder residue. I guess I' ll call CVA.

As far as accurate conicals that will be effective on elk, is the maxihunter ok, or is there a better choice? I like what I' ve read about the Great plains Hollow points, but as of last years regs, they are illegal in Colorado, because they are more than twice the length of their diameter. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out PRBullet.com for great conicals and some recommendations. Excellent bullets.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot hornady pistol bullets in sabots but I think there illegal in colorado.My friend shoots buffalo ball-et bullets and they perform very good and they are short so they should be legal.They are half ball, half conical.I would go with 245gr for deer and 300gr or so for elk.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM

Underclocked, Thanks for the suggestion. Great looking bullets and good information. I think I' m going to go with the Ultimate 1 spitzer hollow point. Thanks again.