Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson Center Renegade >

Thompson Center Renegade

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Renegade

Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Thompson Center Renegade

i might have a line on a used one in 54 cal.........

are these good rifles??????????? i googled it. looks like a basicfield version of a sided lock percussion. is this what it is????????????

early
Old 08-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thompson Center Renegade

early

The Renegade is a very good TC sidelock Hawken style gun. I have a couple of them and I actually prefer them to the Hawken.

Check out the condition of the gun and if it is good - and the price is right snap it up....
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Dominant Buck

The .54 caliber Renegade has to be one of my favorite all time rifles made. They are a no frills, solid built, well designed, good shooting rifle. A .54 caliber roundball is an excellent projectile. Also Green Mountain Barrel Company sells a number of different barrels that with minor adjustment in some cases, will replace the current barrel and allow you to do some impressive shooting with an array of different calibers, and projectiles.

Also remember the Renegade has the Thompson Center life time warranty that stands behind it. The one draw back for me mind you, is with powerful loads you can get a good pop in the cheek bone from the rifle. The Hawkins is not so bad as the Renegade, but for all the times I have shot my four rifles, I would not sell one or trade it off. They are great shooters.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I love my Renegade. Mine is a 50 cal single trigger hunter model. If the gun is in good shape, you won't be sorry. Like Cayugad said, GMB has several interchangeable barrels for the Renegades.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 AM

thank's guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

early
Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The one draw back for me mind you, is with powerful loads you can get a good pop in the cheek bone from the rifle. The Hawkins is not so bad as the Renegade, but for all the times I have shot my four rifles, I would not sell one or trade it off. They are great shooters.
Cayugad, Using 425gr Hornady's and 100gr of powder I do not notice it hitting me in the face. It Goes strate back. Maybe it is how we hold it.

I really love my Renegade. I have a 54cal and it is a really great rifle.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID= 491

The best one there is the 58-cal with 1-70" twist. It's a must-purchase someday.