Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullshops in my Ultra Mag >

Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 AM

Default Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Well, I finally made it back out after 2 weeks vacation, sore neck/numb right arm, 90++ degree days.........

The day started off good. I planned on trying to get up early to beat the heat. I succeeded in getting up at 5:30, helped by my neck killing me and having to take a leak. All was pretty good until I found the huge diarrhea land mine my lab left for me by the door. Evidently, she got into some extra food that I didn't know about. Labs have a way of doing that. After about 20 minutes of cleaning, I was back on track.

Got to my shooting spot at about 7:00 and about 10 minutes later another pickup showed on the horizon. Whew, I just beat them. There is really only one good spot there to shoot, so I got lucky this time.

Since I had last shot, I replaced the front ramp and front sight with a much lower profile combination and a white bead. I thought this would work much better with the Lyman peep sight and it did.

That and the fact that I was shooting conicals for the first time, I started off at 25 yards with the Bullshop 460s making adjustment after each shot. The other shots on that target were from sighting in from a different day shooting.

After I got it close, I made one final adjustment and moved the target back to 50 yards. I just made 3 shots with the 460's with no swabbing, infact, I didn't swab the whole day.

I decided to shoot 3 of the 500s, so I did. No sight change, no powder change or anything else. After the second shot of the 500s, I thought "dang, that sight picture was different" and sure enough it was high.

Since I wasn't happy with that one shot, I decided to shoot a 500 at one of UC's targets just to see. Well, heck, couldn't even tell where the middle of the paper was. Didn't know for sure at the time if it was UC's fault, or the fact that my printer cartridge was low and didn't print too good. I determined later it was UC's fault.

Then I decided to shoot some of the big boys. I backed off 5 gr on the powder, but kept everything else the same.

Here was my shooting setup. You can see how bad that UC target is!!!! It's on the right.

Anyway, that was enough for me for one day. A couple notes though.

I must say, that with my neck and right arm in the condition it is in, I had to concentrate real hard to do my job. Better sense probably would have been to stay home and wait for a different day, but I just couldn't wait to shoot some conicals.

And the one kicker to the whole thing. Can anyone tell mehow the .504's from Bullshop load in your Ultra Mags?????? The first one on a clean, dry barrel slid down the barrel all by itself. After that, the weight of the loading rod by itself easily pushed the bullet down the barrel. As I said, I didn't swab while shooting and all the bullets loaded the same. I don't have anything here at the house to measure them with, but will TRY to remember to bring a pair of calipers home from work tomorrow. I am planning on using either the 460's or 500's to hunt with this year, but am going to have to get some sized a little bigger. Has anyone else had to do this???
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

cascadedad

Nice shootin... I do wish the weather would cool down... The were really nice round holes.

I haven't been able to do anything over here for awhile - to much work and not enough play time - hopefully next week end - except it is supposed to be the hottest weekend of the year so far...

Old 07-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Cascadedad - Wow, great shooting. Those Whites can really shoot. Thanks for sharing.

Surprised the different conicals all seemed to be impacting the same...regardless of weight. Perhaps there would be a larger difference if you moved back to 100 yards.

Again, thanks for sharing...always interested to see how those Whites are shooting.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting!!

Can you give the specifics on the new front site?
Type, hght,and where to order?

Thanks
Steve

Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM

I ordered the ramp and sight from Midway. The exact ones are on my computer at home, will try to post the specifics tonight. Prior to changing the front sight, with 300 gr saboted bullets, the peep was way up in the air, so I knew shooting the conicals, I would need to change for sure. I think this setup will still leave enough down adjustment on the peep to shoot sabots and also enough up adjustment, without sticking way up in the air, to shoot the conicals.

Hope to move back to 100 yards and do some shooting real soon. I know my skills/eyes are probably not going to produce outstanding results, but hopefully good enough. Right now, I am trying to get used to shooting a muzzleloader and break the guns in. At some point I would like to put a scope on one just for punching holes in paper at longer distances to see what the gun and I can do. Can't use a scope for hunting here, so it is not a real high priority at this time.

SL, I know what you mean about the weather. It has been hot here. That is why I got up early to shoot. Early in the morning here is usually the best chance to get minimal wind also, which you very well know is a factor.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If not for this board and you guys, I would still probably just be THINKING about getting a ML. So, thanks a bunch. Also for all the great information.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM

One more thing I just thought of. I read where a couple have said their front sight was loose and slid out. Well, when taking mine out, it came out VERY easy. For those keeping the original, I would suggest you check that very carefully and maybe even remove and replace with a touch of locktite. Disaster could be lurking!

On the other hand, the one I installed was tight, tight, tight. I don't have a tool to install the sight into the dovetail of the ramp, but used a brass punch. If you do this, be very careful to get it started straight. I was successful, but it would be very easy to booger it up. Also, I used the original screw to install the new ramp and not the screw that came with it. The screw that came with it just didn't feel right when I screwed it in. The original was also a little bit longer which I thought was a good thing.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

And the one kicker to the whole thing. Can anyone tell mehow the .504's from Bullshop load in your Ultra Mags?????? The first one on a clean, dry barrel slid down the barrel all by itself. After that, the weight of the loading rod by itself easily pushed the bullet down the barrel. As I said, I didn't swab while shooting and all the bullets loaded the same. I don't have anything here at the house to measure them with, but will TRY to remember to bring a pair of calipers home from work tomorrow. I am planning on using either the 460's or 500's to hunt with this year, but am going to have to get some sized a little bigger. Has anyone else had to do this???
On my Ultra Mag, on a clean barrel, once I use my thumb and push it under the crown of the muzzle, it will start to disappear down the barrel. I then put the rod in on top and it seats itself, no strain. After the barrel is fowled, they still load easy and just slide down the barrel with slight pressure on the rod.

Its amazing to me that fact that I can shoot over twenty large conicals and never have to swab the barrel. Although, if you do swab you will get even better accuracy. Hard to believe with the kind of groups you're shooting, but as many know, I've clover leafed a fair number of three and even a few five shot groups when I took the time to swab between shots.

I really like your front sight. Send me a link as to where you might have purchased that, etc if you could. They look like something I would be interested in. Although I would rather have a green front sight and stick with the fiber optics in the back. I've shot a lot of peep sights and still do. While they are very accurate, they are not my favorite sighting device.

That by the way is some outstanding shooting. Especially taking into consideration your medical condition which would have played a part in all of that whether you can believe it or not. Very nice groups, tight and perfect round holes. BullShop did you a good job there...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan is the man on these conicals. He suggested over onDWB's forum that he would gladly skip one of the now two-step sizing operationhe does at .504 which should result in just a wee bit greater diameter. Even lead has a slight amount of springiness and the second sizing brings them to a true .504 (by my mic'). A tiny amount of resistance going down the bore might give some additional resistance so far as the bullet coming off its seat, buteliminating the wad would surely do the same.The wads may or may not be contributing to your very good accuracy (they surely are not hindering it).

Since you are blaming things on UC , whar'd ya git da info fer dat sight?

I envy your obviously good eyesight. Good shootin!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:19 PM

Here they are:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=430733

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=763623

I guess if I can dish it out, I better give credit where it is due. Pretty sure UC gave me the info on this. There, as much as I hated to do it, I did it.

Dave, I also like green. It shows up very well for me, unlike red which is horrible. Might as well paint it black. I think I have seen some little bottles offlorescent paint at one of the stores around here. I think I might try to paint mine. If/when I do I will post a pic.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Cas, Just curious why you got the whole sight Why not just the slide part?
Redclub

Quick Reply: Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.