Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullshops in my Ultra Mag >

Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullshops in my Ultra Mag

I believe Phil's statement with regard to instability is exactly right and sometimes dramatic changes (loss of accuracy)can result as a consequence.A riflethat groups a bullet well at 50 yards may not do well at all at 100. Mylimited experience with sabot carried rounds showed me the milk jug wonders are even MORE prone to accuracy loss at greater distances. Not suggesting that is true across the board as I know it isn't, but several of the bullets I tried, that did reasonably well at 100 yards, would have been awfully hard to find at 200. Trajectory tables are no replacement for field verification of load performance.

Some of the centerfire shooters I know are not at all impressed by sub-moa at 100 unless you show the rifle/load will do the same at 200. One of the finest shots I know suggests 200 yards with a centerfireisa minimum test of true accuracy for a given rifle/load. He has seen too many combos that simply fall apart accuracy-wise when the distance increases.

If you are going to attempt a 200 yard shot on a game animal, practice out to and including 200 yards.