Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patch lubes

Old 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
BS

Default RE: Patch lubes

Triple 7 is right about lubes changing when it gets cold, I am looking forward to trying the Moose Milk in the clold.......I still have my dry oiled patches that should work in freezing temps.

Tahquamenon, is the Rooster Lab lube wax based? I have a wax lube that you rub on that is one of the best I have ever tried, but no longer made.[:'(]I have tried to make a copy....close, very close!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM

BS – Just out of curiosity, what lube do you feel loaded the easiest? Which lube was the easiest to use? Overall, which would you recommend or are you indifferent?

Thanks for posting your report…real interesting. Just thinking if I want to pursue the spray bottle MM approach or the hand cleaner approach.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
BS

Hunter John, every gun is different, just cause it works in mine, doesn't mean it will work in yours.

I have not sprayed the moose milk on top yet, but I have used equal ammouts of Castor Oil/Murphy's Oil Soap and Water in a spray bottle. Just load a ball and dry patch and squirt, or dribble some drops on top. The dry patch will suck the lube in just fine. I have a small Vizine[sp] Bottle that works well. Smaller the hole, the better.

Some thoughts: The dry fabric doesn't compress like when it is wet, so when you load it dry, the ball is imprinted by the fabric better. Then add lube the lube to the top.....it sucks in and wets the fabric,softens and lubes. Instead of forcing the lube out when loading, it allows it to be "wicked" in and actually lube the bore.

I also tried the moose milk as a wet patch......didn't shoot very accuractly in my guns. But, let it dry, it makes a nice dry type lube that shoots OK....and loads easy......
Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 AM
BS

Todays target using Stumpy's Moose Milk.......this is about as well as my .32 carbine shoots. It was hot today, so I only shot one target.[8D]

It works well in 4 of my rifles, be sure and give it a try, both wet and dry. I prefer the dry method, but wet patches may work for you.

This is the formula and how to, as written by cayugad:

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

(make sure you mix the ingredients in the exact order they are listed)

I buy a yard of material of 100% cotton blue strip pillow tick at the local wal mart. I wash that in the washing machine. I then line dry the material. After that you can tear the strip real easy off that bolt of material. I like to tear off an inch and a half. Then you soak that strip in moose milk. Ring the excess moose milk out. Then I lay that on an old window screen in the sun and let it dry. This is a dry patch . If you like a more wet patch, you can spritz them with a spritzer bottle.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW! a squirrel wouldn't stand much of a chance if it happened across you with that rifle loaded. Excellent shooting...
Old 07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, Rooster Labs is a waxy paste.

The melting point for PL-16is 265 deg F. The flash point is about 400 deg F.

The specifc gravity at 60 deg F. is 0.86 (water is 1.0).

Tahquamenon
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice shooting.