Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patch lubes

Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
BS

Default Patch lubes

In my search for a lube that will shoot in the same point of impact clean or dirty, I have tried many lubes. Most don't shoot any where close from the first to second shot in my .73 carbine rifle.

I have shot some really good groups with dry oiled patches at 100 yds, but the first shot, on a clean barrel will blow holes or tear the patches.....second and third shots are fine.[:@]

I have tried many of the home-made lubes with Bees Wax and......ATF, Neetsfoot, Crisco, Sno-seal, and a couple of others, most are too slippery.

Too slippery is bad, makes the balls splatter.[causes fliers] imo

Anyway, I had tried Moose Milk as a wet patch lube with poor results, but I just pust some on .015 pillow ticking and let it dry.............first shot clean barrel........torn patch, but a good hit.

Lubed up a small pc of canvas..................sun dried and a little help from a fan.

First and second shot are nearly in the same hole at 75 yds............I have more material drying.................

The first shot patch on a clean bore is one of the best looking patches that have come out of the 73 cal tube.

More info coming.....soon.

N0-BS

Old 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Patch lubes

Unless patched round balls are completely forgiving by their nature, I never have that 1st shot / following shot difference using NL1000, regardless of caliber.

On full power hunting loads I use Oxyoke wonderwads...might be worth considering to see if it'll give you some more consistency...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
BS

TC Natural Lube 1000, works good on my maxi balls, but never could get it to shoot out of my .73 cal.

Some of the lubes I have tried have been seven to eight inches apart from the first to second shot.......really amazing on how different guns react to the same lube.

Roundball, you got me thinking:I haven't tried may of these lubes since I hand lapped the bore.......I just lubed some strips of canvas with TC 1000 and Permatex........we will se how they shoot in a clean dry barrel.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM
BS

Todays results:

One shot is missing with the TC lube..........I could find no holes, but my steel angled backer plate was nocked down...........must have been a near perfect hole in a hole..........

75 yds Bench, 6 o'clock hold
125FF, .725 RB, canvas patch

PX-Permatex Blue........loaded hard.....great looking patchs
TC-TC N1000 .........also loaded hard......."........""
MM-Stumpy's Moose Milk......loads easy...."......""
411- My Wax Lube..............loads easy
411+ Just more of it..............."....."

It is nice to know that in cold weather, I can always use the N1000 lube if the others get too stiff to load easily.

And two of the TC patches got eaten by the lawn......sneeky varmints.

My lube still needs some work, but it is close.

And, for some reason, the first shot was a hang fire.........and I thought the barrel was clean..........shame on me for not firing a cap!

Hope someone finds some of this interesting!

Bruce
No-BS

Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually some good shooting there. And it's always amazing how much difference a simple lube can make. As for the moosemilk first shot on a clean barrel. I've also noticed the patch is all blow apart. No real accuracy loss but still the following ones are fine after that first shot.

Bore butter all the patches seem to look the same other then degrees of fowling on them. When I shoot with a wad, I've noticed that some of the patches are in such pristine condition they could be refused and just for fun, have shot them again.

Again, some great testing. I like to see reports like that...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 PM
BS

So your first shots a blown patches also, thought it was a quirk of my rough spots in the bore! I went to a light canvas for the first shot, it has not blown apart with moose milk on a clean barrel yet.....only been 4 or five shots..

Pillow ticking allways blows on the first shot.......second and third are fine.

When hunting, I like to leave my gun loaded......and I don't want that first patch to tear...........that is part or the reason for this search for the right lube and patch with a clean bore.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

bs, nl1000 does freeze in winter, its awful .i used to keep my maxi-ball inside my coat on second shot if i needed it.if you use roundball here in winter in pa. using nl1000 in your barrel and patch, oh my. its a bear to push home.i use hoppes blackpowder for my patchs in winter but i dont hunt with rb. i now use POWERBELT 295,no lube, clean barrel.thats 1 problem out of way at 5 above.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
BS

I did some shooting today with my 36 buggy rifle. Squirrel season is just 2 months away...........

Tried two different lubes, on e new Stumpy's Moose Milk and some Permatex-Blue.

Using .335 RBs and pillow ticking.

The first shot with MM was with a dry clean barrel, two more shots then a heavy spit wipe, two dry wipes, a cap, and two more shots. LWW between shots.

Then the Permatex-Blue:
Heavy spit wipe, two dry, a cap and three shots, with LWW in between. Spit wipe.........etc.

The biggest secret to shooting groups is a light wet wipe between shots..........and not waiting to reload. [LWW-the ammout ofspit used varys depending on temp and humidity]

Don't let the crud harden! [:'(]Reload fast! Works for me.

Now with the MM, I need to work on the first dry shot.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can also try a small spray bottle filled with distilled water. Geta small automotove scent spray bottlethat has a wide misty spray. It goes on a dry patch very lightly so moisture does not interfere with the powder-eliminates the slime from your hands associated with lubes- so you stay cleaner at the range & produces outstanding groups in many rifles.

Just another option to consider. Both of your shot groups are instant killers to most-any game. Either target shownis considered very good for hunting purposes. These groups may reverse themselves when colder weather arrives too. Now (hot summer) is NOT the time for sighting-in. But it is a great time to be outdoors at the range having fun. Just find a spot that has the most shade..
Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

I use NL1000 or other similar bore butter's withusually prettygood results.

Unless it's below freezing then it's Rooster Lab's PL16 or BP-7. Exceptional lube and without a doubt my favorite. It's the most consistant lube I have ever used. Excellent in both the hottest and coldest of weather.
http://www.roosterlabs.com/index.html

M2C,

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: Patch lubes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.