Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer. >

Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

I also have the Cabelas card. I thought all purchases outside of the Cabelas store did not qualify for 1% rebates. I think it's only 0.50% for other purchases.
I don't know if they've changed anything, if so, I'm grandfathered in (not that I'm a grandfather yet). I get 1 % on non Cabela's purchases and 2% on Cabelas purchases. There are times when they give 3% for Cabelas purchases as a promotion. Two to three times a year I get coupons for $15 off a $100 purchase or $30 off a $150 dollar purchase. I save points for these coupons. Just everyday spending, I accumulate about $100 every eight months. Free money, I like free money.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

The way these points work is the companies whether Cabela's ,the airlines etc sell these points to the credit card companies and you get the points from the credit card companies. The credit card co. then use those points for advertising and getting people to use their cards. This is a very big money maker for all involed. Some co. like the airlines and motor manufactures make more on these than they do on there products.
As long as we pay our bill every month without fail we win too.
Redclub
Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm sure the GM card charges a higher interest rate on unpaid balances to permit them to give you the 5%. There are no free lunches in the credit card business.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

The way these points work is the companies whether Cabela's ,the airlines etc sell these points to the credit card companies and you get the points from the credit card companies. The credit card co. then use those points for advertising and getting people to use their cards. This is a very big money maker for all involed. Some co. like the airlines and motor manufactures make more on these than they do on there products.
As long as we pay our bill every month without fail we win too.
Redclub
I think Cabelas actually owns the bank that is contracted with VISA "Worlds Foremost Bank". The bank subsidiary is getting like 1.13% from the VISA system everytime there is a transaction. I don't think Cabela's is concerned about the profits from the card (except that interest revenues cover losses on bad accounts). Thepoints must be used at Cabela's so the 1% they give you is probabably 50% subsidized by the markup of the products you purchase from them.

I think the main idea is to strengthen a customers connection with Cabela's "the retailer" by use of the card (which advertises to you each time you take it out) and the award of points.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I'm sure the GM card charges a higher interest rate on unpaid balances to permit them to give you the 5%. There are no free lunches in the credit card business.
i always pay my card off each month. had it for 26 years and never had a balance go over a month.they actually dont like me, they want people that dont pay there cards off each month. i am up to 21,000 on my credit limit and they still cant trap me on not paying off each month, ha ha.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only once did I let a balance slide, the check didn't seem worth writing. Think they charged me 28¢ interest, about the cost of a stamp then.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Only once did I let a balance slide, the check didn't seem worth writing. Think they charged me 28¢ interest, about the cost of a stamp then.

i have friends that got into 60,000 in credit card debt fishing bass tournaments.then they claimed bankruptcy,they did not have to pay, waited 6 years and did it all over again. what the heck is wrong with people today .credit card co. must be nuts.if you dont pay off at end of month, you should be cancelled. to let people run up debt then claim bankruptcy is not right and corrupts people.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

If a person can't bedisciplined to pay off their Cabelas card each month, then by all means, abstain from getting a Cabelas card or any other card for that matter. The points justwon't be worth it if one carries a balance. What I'm am talking about is buying the things you are buying anyway AND paying for them up to 30 days later, taking the balance to zero as one does. Still budget your spending like you would with a check book, only, instead of writing 20 to 30 checks, write just one or pay online with a EFT the day before its due.

I've done this same thing for 20 years, its just that now I'm getting Cabela's points while I'm doing it! I like free money, its free money to me, but the points won't be free to anyone carrying a balance.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM

I have a Cabela's card, a Bass Pro Shops card, and a Discover Card. The Cabela's cardI don't use anymore since a BPS opened 30 minutes away. Even with gas prices the way they are it's cheaper to drive to the store than pay shipping from Cabela's. Cabela's credit people ticked me off too...I requested a credit increase and they turned me down, even though I had just gotten rid of a card that had a limit almost 15K higher than what Cabela's was offering me.

BPS has better rewards on their card...1% on all items, 2% on items at BPS, and 4% if they are BPS-branded items (ie RedHead). I pay my rent every month with that card, plus all my everyday expenses except gas, so I end up with about $20/month in credit. Unfortunately I can't seem to save it, as I end up at BPS at least once a month for something.

Discover is really good too, depending on which of their cards you get. I have their gas card, which you get 5% on any gas or items at gas stations. I forget what you get on other purchases, I think it's like 1% or so, but the only thing I use it for is gas. Their rewards program is the most diversified...you can get cash back, or you can choose from one of their other programs. I always use mine to get free movie rentals from Hollywood or Blockbuster. Instead of $20 cashback, you can opt for 10 rentals, which is a little over a $40 value. Works out well. They have a ton of other options...some are double rewards, some are less. My biggest problem with Discover is simply that they aren't accepted everywhere like a Visa card or Mastercard is. I'm proud to say that in the years that I've owneda credit card, up to this point I haven't once carried over any balance to the next month. It gets paid in full every month.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I also have one from an airline co (northwest) there you accumalate frequent flyer miles. A couple years ago I went to Alaska caribou hunting
and the trip was paid for with points. This year we went to Nova Scotia and a few years ago to Scotland.The credit card companies really like you to use there cards. They get about 3% every time you buy something plus the interest.
Redclub

Quick Reply: Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.