Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 At the range with 777 Primers & TMZs >

At the range with 777 Primers & TMZs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At the range with 777 Primers & TMZs

Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default At the range with 777 Primers & TMZs

Well, I finaly got out to try out the 777 Primers, I like them. I shot over 50 times so I gave them a pretty good trial. There was some crud ring with 777 but not nearly as much as with regular 209 primers. I would say they are alot like theVeri-Flame adapters, with magnum rifle primers, only easier to use. Comparing the to Kleanbore primers they seem to be cleaner. After a few shots with the Kleanbores I have to use a primer tool to get them out, with my Omega. With the 777 Primers they still came out easily with my fingers, after 50 shots. I patched between shots using both sides of a windshield washer/alcohol mix and both sides of a dry patch
I also tried out the 250gr TMZs. They shot pretty well with the supplied yellow sabots BUT they loaded very hard, too hard to suit me. I tried out some HPH 24 sabots and they loaded fairly easy BUT they shot terrible (5 to 6 inch groups at 50 yds. I remembered I had a bag of MMP Sub-Bases with me so I tried them. WOW! What a difference, I now was shooting 3 shot ragged holes at 50 yds. I moved back to 100 yds and the groups ranged from a little under 1 inch to about 1 3/4 inch. Usualy two of the holes were touching and the third opened up some. It was in the low 80s so the third one could have been getting too warm or just as likely it was me. I was shooting 120 grs of loose 777 powder also 115 grs shot about the same at 50yds, didn't try it at 100.This is, by far, the best my Omega has shot in the over 300 times I have shot it. Hope this is of help, of course another gun might not shoot the same but I think the same results with the primers will probably happen.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: At the range with 777 Primers & TMZs

When you added the MMP sub base, were you still using the HP/24 MMP sabot or had you went back to the original yellow ones? It sounds like a good day at the range for you. And an excellent endorsment on the new primers. I am sure they will get back to my neck of the woods in a couple years...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was using the HPH/24s with the sub-base. The sub-base must have made up for the slightly loose fit with the 24s, it sure suprised me that it made that much difference. I don't know if you have a Gander Mountain near you but that is where I got mine.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I have two packs of the MMP sub bases here at the house.. I will try them under a few sabots and see what kind of effect they have on the accuracy..
Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I tried them before on some sabots and didn't really see that much of a difference so for that reason I almost didn't even try them. Sure glad I did because they made a huge difference with the sabot and bullet combination I was using this time. I hope you find a combination that will help you.