Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Two Barnes TMZs = Two dead deer >

Two Barnes TMZs = Two dead deer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Two Barnes TMZs = Two dead deer

Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Two Barnes TMZs = Two dead deer

I finaly got to try TMZs on deer.
No. 1--- Buck at 55 yds---120grs 2f 777 & 290 gr TMZ.-- Hit deer just behind front shoulder, about half way up chest. Couldn't find any sign of blood but was pretty sure I saw him go down. I found him about 50 yds away with no blood trail leading to him. Bullet entered just behind front shoulder ( about a 2 inch hole ) and for some reason turned, after taking out one lung, and went through liver and exited just in front of rear leg. The deer was on a slight angle towards me but not enough for the bulletto take the path that it did. It caused massive internal damage. Just goes to show, what others have said, a slightly high hit, even with good bullet performance, may bleed internally ( Body was full of blood ) and not leave a trail.

No. 2---- Doe at 30 yds.--same load -- Dead on the spot. This time I made sure to hold lower. Bullet entered just behind front shoulder ( another 2 inch hole ), took out both lungs and top 1/3 of heart, exited with about the same size hole.

Overall I am very satisfied with the load and the bullet. I don't know why the one turned but the deer still ended up dead.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Two Barnes TMZs = Two dead deer

That's a good report on the bullet mayguy.. thanks. I shoot the 285 grain Barnes and the 300 grain Barnes Expanders in my Knights. I am sure they would give me similar damage. Those high hits can really fool people. I've seen them deer run a long way without a drop of blood. They they lay down and when you get to them, they are bled out internally.

Congratulations of the taking of both deer. Sounds like you have a lot of butchering to do and a lot of good eating ahead of you. Way to go!!