Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 When and how did you first get hooked? >

When and how did you first get hooked?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

When and how did you first get hooked?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When and how did you first get hooked?

I'm fairly new to turkey hunting even though I have taken several on my property. I have always been a big deer and duck hunter. I have always had turkeys on my property but had little interest in hunting them. Five years ago I vowed to become a serious turkey hunter. I killed a 20 pounder that opening day and I became hooked. Now it's a passion. I even went to Texas last spring and killed a couple of Rios and plan on going back. Nobody introduced me to turkey hunting. I did it myself. I guess this iswhy I took so long to get into it. Man, I am glad I did. I just wish I would have done it earlier. How long did it take to bag your first longbeard? Only 65 days til opening day, in La. anyway.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Default RE: When and how did you first get hooked?

My dad introduced me to it. I remember him having several of his friends over and they'd sit around and mess with calls and talk turkey, tell of hunts past etc. I started going with Dad when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and killed my first(spring gobbler) when I was 15....a 19.5 lb gobbler that roosted behind my girlfriends(then) house....needless to say, I skipped school the next morning.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

12 years ago I ventured out one spring morning, by myself,hoping of killing a gobbler. I had never heard a gobbler in the woods and didnt even know if i would recognize one. Well by the grace of god our property was full of birds that morning. I soon realized what a gobble sounded like and counted 8 spearated birds roosted on our farm and each gobble sent chills thru my spine.
I didnt kill anything that first year (called in a hen, and missed one at 4yds) or for the next 2 years after that but i was hooked from day one.
This year I will be hunting in three states during a month vacation, and there hasnt been a turkey safe onour farm for the past 9years (I eventually learned what I was doing and have limited out ever since)
Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

my dad toke me hunting with him and when the gobbler gobbled i was hooked.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

1990. It was announced in our local Sunday paper, the outdoor section, that the county i live in was getting it's first turkey season in 100yrs. Having been a hunter all my life to that point, i get intrigued, looked into it, studied hard as one could do with just three weeks to prepare and jumped in. Killed a tom on my 2nd hunt, another one on my third hunt and ain;t looked back
Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Started slow when seasons opened in Massachusetts. Went out a couple of times, but knew nothing about it. Hunted mid morning, never heard or saw a turkey. Moved to Maine. Ten years later we get a season in the area Ilive in. I don't get a permit but a friend does. We go out and I call and he guns. Hearing birds gobble on the roost and respond to calls was great. Last day of the season we worked the same bird for six hours. After four hours of calling with him not moving into a shooting lane. He was 35 yards away up the field edge in a woods road. Two more steps and he would have been in the field enough to shoot. He gobbled and strutted there for three hours. He finally snuck up the tree line and was ten tards away in the brush but my buddy would not shoot. The gobbler spotted something he didn't like and left. We circled gave him an hour and started from a different direction. Never got him, but it is stil lone of the best hunts I have had. Been hooked ever since. Even started making calls I've got it so bad.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 PM

been hunting turkeys for probably 4 years or so and it was last year that got me hooked. I killed 2 turkeys in 1 weekend. first turkey was an easy kill was about 20ft and the second was about 20ft too but i missed and shoot the bird out of the air, was badass.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

12 years ago when I called in and shot my first WILDturkey
Old 01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only reason I tried turkey hunting is the sping season. Our seasons for deer are short up here in Ontario,so when winter sets in the thought of not beinglegal to huntforanother year drove me nuts. Taking up archery and turkey hunting has (almost) solved the problem.
I've hunted three years but haven't shot the big gobbler yet, just a couple jakes.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Two years ago when my dad took me

Quick Reply: When and how did you first get hooked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.