Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm hooked!! >

I'm hooked!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm hooked!!

Old 01-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default I'm hooked!!

Hello to all,

This is my first post and I’m new to hunting which is why I went with the name Green Pea. I’m 40 years old and have been shooting a 22 that my grandfather gave me when I was 14. My brother finally talked me into going hunting with him last week during muzzle loading season. I took my camera (I’m a photographer) and he took his rifle.

My god what have I been missing. No phones, TV’s, clients or nothing. Just open space fresh air and the freedom to sit back and relax with no hassles. Over the next couple of days after getting back I bought about everything I could get my hands on. Hunting cloths, boots, knives, and my first hunting rifle a Winchester 25-06 I found at a gun show in Columbus Ohio. By god I’m hooked and can’t wait to get back out.

I am kind of disappointed I can’t shoot the damn thing in Ohio but that’s alright I’ll find a place that I can. Any suggestions for a good 12 ga automatic?

Well I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to reading the post and learning from all of you.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm hooked!!

Welcome Gp.
I find hunting&firearms in general& the outdoors& no crowds etc, are Special/injoyable things to me also.Glad you found themto - its never to late as they say.

How come you cant shoot your rifle in ohio? No ranges(or public lands?)around to shoot at?

I dont own any semi auto shotguns myself - but there many good brands out there. mossberg, rem, winchester etc& many ppl here who know a lot more then myself on what one is good/better /best.

(maybe you can post some of your wildlife etcphotos sometime?)

Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

WELCOME GP. if you are wanting a good gun for a good price i would look at stoger model 2000. me and the wife have one each and use them for everythign from ducks,to deer, to rabbits. you name it. good solid gun for the prices\. the wesite for it is. www.stoegerindustries.com . they will tell you more. good luck and keep on hunting. its a great sport to be hooked on.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to our world

Enjoy yourself, be safe and tell others.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats. I'd recommend the remington 11-87. kinda like the buick of shotguns...not really sexy, but affordable, versatile, and it'll get you where you need to go.. i've also heard good things about the reliability of stoeger.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the lead on the shotgun. I’ve been told that you can’t hunt with a rifle in Ohio and was also told by someone else that you can on private land so I’m not real sure what the laws are here in Ohio. There is a shooting range close by so I’m planning to stop by and see if it’s for handguns, rifles, or bows.

I have a couple of acres and it’s all farmer fields behind me so I plan to put up a tree stand in one of the trees out back and shoot varmints in the field with the farmers permission of course. I’m just kind of confused as to whether or not I can use a rifle.

I’ll call the game warden and get a straight answer. I bought a 410 this morning to knock the squirrels out of the trees in my back yard. They’ve never run from me before like they did today. Must have been the look in my eyes that they didn’t care for.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey pea,

Congratulations on taking up a way of life that will enrich you beyond words. Unless your absolutely set on an auto-shotgun, I would consider the remington 870-pump--probably THE most popular gun ever made--you'll never have a problem with it jamming, ever(even if you've just pulled it out of a 3 ft mudhole) unlike the possibility with an auto. Also, for all practical purposes,you can shoot just as fast with it (remember, the 1st shot is the one that counts the most any way)
good luck
hb
Old 01-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you don't kill all the squirrels--leave some for seed---kinda like the goose that layed the golden egg. You know how to skin squirrel pilgrim?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Well I made a mess of the first one but I did ok with the second one. My wife said “I’m not cooking those things”. I told her just stick them the skillet and burn em like everything else. I hope the garage is warm tonight.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard GP, I second the idea of a pump gun, but the best advise I can give you is figure out the local regs right away!

Not only about rifle use, but alsoseasons, tags, do you need a safety course where you are, etc.
The last thing you need is to possibly lose your gun, truck and hunting privelages because you poached a friggin squirrel.

Quick Reply: I'm hooked!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.