Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ultra mag with a Millet Scope >

Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Cayuqad, when I built my last Hawken I put the scope on first and mounted the rear sight in front of it, it looks a bit different but works just fine. I really don't understand why some people think iron sights are for short range only. Lee
lemoyne... to be honest, when I was younger all I ever hunted with was iron or peep sights. Then as I got older I started finding that after 125 yards, I was not able to place my shots the way I wanted to anymore. I am afraid that that distance is reducing all the time. Right now, out to 100 yards I am still comfortable with open sights. After that, I really find the advantages in the scope. Lucky for me, most my shots are all close range...

I do actually like hunting with scopes.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I got up early and wanted to shoot the White Ultra Mag to make up my mind about whether or not the Millet Buck was staying on the rifle. After a couple knocks on the eye brow I knew it had to be moved forward which meant removing the rear sight.

Instead I took the rifle to the big city and purchased a Nikon 2-7x32 Pro Staff and had that mounted instead. As you can see I have the rear sights still in place, the Warne QD rings still, and plenty of eye relief. Almost 4" I believe it is. The fellow at the gun shop even offered me the use of the range. I told him had I known that, I'd of come loaded for bare.

I think this Nikon will work out fine.

Triple Se7en who has never steered me wrong yet, made up my mind actually...
The Pro-staff would be a better choice for that rifle. Besides giving you more forward room for sliding,it has slightly more eye relief than the Millet also.

I can't get over how clear the glass is on my Pro-staff. I'm not sure there is a clearer view scope in the $120 range. Although my Sightron SI has more "toys/options" in the same price range, the Pro-staff is slightly clearer to look out.
It really does seem like the perfect scope for this rifle. I am more them pleased with the clarity. With a 75 yard parallax that should work just fine for the focus part.

As for the Millet.. well I guessI have to get another rifle to mount that on... just kidding.. I am thinking of throwing that Millet on my Knight Disc or my CVA Staghorn and then RED DOT the CVA Stalker...

Anyway, that's what the set up looks like now...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Cayugad - Nice looking rig. Will have to keep the Nikon 2-7x32 Pro Staff in mind next time I'm looking for a scope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Please continue to post your experiences with your White. I'm really intrigued so far. If experience is any guide, this feeling usually leads to a thinner wallet, but a happier "Hunter John"
Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

[&o] a much thinner wallet. Actually the Pro Staff is $120.00 at http:www.ultout.com and that includes shipping. While the fellow at the gun shop could not match that price, he threw in the mounting and a few other extras.

Plus he showed me some excellent rifles...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

If mine ever gets here I am going to put a Bushnell 3x9x40 Trophy I have here on it. I do have a Sightron SI but I think I like the Trophy better.

Just wish the darn thing would get here...

What height are you rings? medium of high?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Warne QD medium rings... they are excellent..
Old 04-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Millet would go-good on your "long, straight stock"Knight Disc. More up-front protection there for scopes with less eye relief.

Off-topic Dave.....

Did the Bushnell ML forum die recently? I tried unsuccessfully clicking-on today. Appears to have gone to the same forum heaven as CVA's old forum..lol
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I sent you a PM
Old 04-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got it! []