Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 It is Here!!!!  The White Ultra Mag >

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Big Brown showed up late this afternoon....

I really like the gun... It is really plain and simple and really exactly what the three states in the Northwest require.

The fit of the stock is really good but it is dry as caygad noted. I am thinking I will start hand rubbing some true oil into the stock. At some point I will bed the action but not right now I really want to shoot it. Do not have any scope bases for it yet - so it will be with the open sights that came with the gun.

The bullets supplied are huge I have not weighed them yet but a real nice selection.

I have not pushed down any of my current sabots and bullets yet - that is next. I did get an e-mail fro Doc which he indicated that this gun will shoot sabots great and he gave a couple of suggestions from his offerings. He has a couple of 50/40 lead bullets that sound real interesting.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It is Here!!!!

Its all over now!

What combinations did Doc recommend?

Steve
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

That sure is a good looking rifle. But then I am kind of prejudice... Well this is wonderful.. another large lead thrower about to be played with. Keep us posted as to what kind of loads you find work and not work.

What do you think of the balance of that rifle? Kind of impressive don't you think?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a new one! Congrats!!

Check your sights secure. Did you getall three breechplugs and the extra bolt? Scope mounts like Cayugad's can be had at e-gunparts.com http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=929060&chrSuperSKU =&MC=

S-439 front
S-452 rear
S-455 alternate rear (I'm curious about that one as to how it differs from the 452)

The Grand Slams are nice bases but offer little flexibility in ring placement. That's one reason Dave ran into trouble with that Millett Buck Silver (aside from the scope just being too long for his purposes). That Nikon Prostaff he got looks like a good choice, but I think the ideal choice would be a Leupold 2x7 - if ya got one layin' around.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Dominant Buck

When my Bullshop bullets get here. I can tell you how well they shoot. I have gone through almost two boxes of the No Excuse Conicals. This not having to swab a barrel sure speeds up the shooting when all you do is dump some powder, flop a wad on top, and slide the trash can down the bore. I've no idea what kind of powder charge to use under them, so that should be exciting. I figure they must be close to the No Excuse conicals for the same powder charge.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

It's a good thing that Big Brown truck showed up today. I bet you must have almost worn a trail in your carpet walking back and fourth, looking out the window and saying all those terrible things... I wore mine out waiting for Federal Express..
Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

What do you think of the balance of that rifle? Kind of impressive don't you think?
In the words of the kids - AWESOME

Doc's e-mail:

M97's usually shoot sabots, especially my Power star 50/40-435 or 50/40-320 beautifully well, and they load with ease. DOC. [/align][/align]He is not kidding, everything does load really easy... I tried everything I have on hand, this certainly largest 50 cal bore I have.[/align][/align]I started with the thinnest sabot I have which is one of the new MMP 3 petals - that went down like loading a PowerBelt so that is to loose... Then a HPH 24 might be ok on a fowled barrel but a little loose on a clean barrel, but I am positive it would shoot ok. Then a Nosler 50/45 which I know is an MMP and I am pretty sureit is a HPH-12 - loaded just right... Then a MMP HPH-12 really nice... Then a MMP Orange .458 with a .458 Hornady - Sweet! amd the final test I really wanted to work an MMP Blue 50/40 with a 200 grain XTP - Great... I am happy![/align][/align]Did I mention how uniform the bore was and how smooth it was - holy cow it is great...[/align][/align]I probably will not throw a lot of those big lead hunkers from it but I am really hoping it shoots my loads as well as everything I have does- check that better than everything else that I have...[/align][/align]I can not tell you how happy I am with this gun right now... I promised my wife I would sell the A&H to replace the funds for this gun - but i bought here a battery operated weed eater tonight that she has been wanting for along time (on sale for $34.99) so I am doing ok right now - so Instead of the A&H I am going to sale the CVA Firebolt will not get as much money but i think it will pass a gun sold... and Terry got a weed eater... good deal for me.[/align][/align]PS - i just sold another Whiteto my Vice Principal - he is making the phone calls tomorrow..[/align][/align]PS#2 - got to order a cap hammer to replace the 209 hammer.[/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Wow - this sounds like quite a rifle. Let us know it performs at the range.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Underclocked

Got the bases coming... and I do have laying right here on the counter a Leupold 2x7x32 compact scope. I am going to start with a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 mil dot.

Cayugad

Not really i tricked Big Brown - I took my wife shopping for a weed-eater - that way i wasn't home to pace the floor... I did not want her to think I was anxious - i even took her out to dinner Wendy's - I was on a roll scoring points...

OK enough for a bit i am going to back and handle it some more....

Then I need to order a cap hammer a spare #11 nipple and a spare spring...

PS. - Looking at the stock it will be a piece of cake - bedding the action. But I can also see down the road I will probably do the barrel also. Got to get that stock sealed for Idaho weather.

enough!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got one for a friend also when I got mine. He is determined to shoot lighter (250) gr sabots. Be interesting to hear how yours does with different sabots.

I shot a few of the PS 435 that came with it and they shot good but the big lead is fun!

Steve

Quick Reply: It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.