Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount >

300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Default 300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

I have a Burris 10-24 scope that I mounted on my 300 ultra Mag. I used Leupold rings to mount it with. It was sighted in for 300 yards and has had about 30 shots through it. The heavy recoil actually stripped the base screws on the rear mount. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what scope mount to use that will handle the heavy recoil of this gun?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

How about a Warne?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

How about a Warne?
I second that suggestion.. I have them on my .311 Imperial Mag...
Almost the same as the Ultra but the 404 Jeffrey is neck to accept the
.311 bullet...
Best mounts for the money.And handle recoil really well.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM
bigcountry

I have put well over 2500 rounds thru 300RUM's, three of em. One BDL, one PSS, and one I had built, and I used Leupold bases and rings on all of them. Can't say I ever had that happen. Only way it can happen is if it got loose. Especially if you only stripped one base. That tells you something. It shouldn't have only stripped one base.

When you installed them, did you degrease the screw holes and screws and locktight (blue)them down. Worse thing that can happen is when a screw is not tight and the base is able to move around.Also did you lap the rings for even distribution of the mount.

Now, the one problem I did have with the 300RUM's is I couldn't keep the scope from moving in the rings. Only way I could hold the scope was to lap the rings (ring lapping kit), until I had 100% contact. Takes me about 3 hours to do a good lapping job. Finally that held the scope in place.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 AM

I removed the scope from the gun only to find that the base had broke on the rear base. The metal that the set screw was clamped onto broke. I will look into the warne mounts. Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Mohican

I removed the scope from the gun only to find that the base had broke on the rear base. The metal that the set screw was clamped onto broke. I will look into the warne mounts. Thanks
Hate to tell ya, you got other problems. Sounds like a install issue.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 PM

I have over 17 rifles that I have installed scopes on and this is the first one that I have ever had a problem with. I can tell by the screw that it was the point of failure. The heavy recoil caused the weakest link to fail. I have replacement screws but have lost confidence in the Leupold base. I am switching to Warne. Thanks to all for the input. I also have Warne Maxima bases that I recently installed on my new TC Pro Hunter. That gun is a tack driver at 100 yards.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Mohican

I have over 17 rifles that I have installed scopes on and this is the first one that I have ever had a problem with. I can tell by the screw that it was the point of failure. The heavy recoil caused the weakest link to fail. I have replacement screws but have lost confidence in the Leupold base. I am switching to Warne. Thanks to all for the input. I also have Warne Maxima bases that I recently installed on my new TC Pro Hunter. That gun is a tack driver at 100 yards.
Shoot, if your such and expert, you don't need to ask questions about mounts to us.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 AM

bigcountry, I didn't come on here to get in a debate with anyone. If the scope was mounted wrong then I don't believe I would of seen small metal flakes from where it failed. From just a description you were able to diagnose the problem.

I just came on here to get suggestions. It is good to hear from others and a way to obtain information, not to get into a debate.

Once again thanks to those who responded.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 AM
bigcountry

Mohican, sorry I offended you.But let meexplain where I am coming from.Just your wording sounded like you didn't know scoping. For leupold std bases, you have have a scope rings beavertail on front and windage adjust on back, then you have the cooresponding bases to match that. You say, "When the rear base broke it actually seperated from the scope", and then you said "base had broke on the rear base". That doesn't sound quite right. Do you mean it sheared the base screws from the action? Sheared the windage adjust screws on the rear base? When you say the rear base broke separated from the scope, do you mean, the rear scope rings separated from the base windage adjust? I have never met somone that was knowlegeable about scoping a rifle or gunsmith use your terminology. So yes I made assumptions. But if you say you know whatyour doing, its your guns.So again, sorry I offended you.

Quick Reply: 300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.