Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally!

Old 12-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally!

A while back I posted in the Deer forum asking " Am I OK?" . I was considering quiting hunting. I've taken lots of deer with rifle and bow and was losing interest. I also had a couple deer coming into the feeder in my backyard. These deer are quite trusting of me. They will come to within 3 ft of me. It kinda made me feel guilty for shooting so many. I'm sure some of you have seen the pictures I've posted on here of them.

Well, I've found a new interest in hunting." Muzzleloader" I just borrowed my Dad's Flintlock today and went out hunting. I got a small doe. I've taken only 2 deer before with a muzzleloader. I never really like them before, but now I am thinking these things are quite fun. My wife even got me an Omega for Christmas. I guess I won't quit hunting but may just start hunting with a muzzleloader instead of a rifle.

I've got to say, It sure was different looking at that deer through open sights instead of a scope. I must have pulled the trigger 6 times before I added moer powder to the pan. Then it went off. The deer never got out of its bed. It just rolled over and layed there.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Finally!

WOW.. congratulations! That looks like an excellent eating deer you got there. And you're right, it is a blast to do it with a muzzleloader.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Spike

You are OK......I felt much the same. I gave up rifle hunting for the same reason, lack of interest. Seemed to loose its pazazz and wasn't fun anymore. Just couldn't get excited when the season came around. I quit hunting for six years and really didn't miss it one bit. I had more fun feeding deer and turkey in my back yard.

My new neighbor was showing me his gun collection one day and the rifle that caught my eye was a his Remington muzzleloader. I couldn't belive how it was so much like a modern rifle. That put a bug in me that never went away. Spent the next couple months researching everything I could on muzzleloading. Then went out and bought a T/C Encore. My wife was very skeptical that I was wasting my time and money but I was determined to hunt again but with a muzzleloader.

Long story short, this being my first year I waited until rifle season was over and hunted during muzzleloader season........shot a doe dead in her tracks.......biggest thrill I have had in a long time.......can't wait to do it again. Something about just having one shot that made this all so worthy. I see it as giving the deer a better chance and forcing the hunter to be more skillful.

I am hooked and love it!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Literally!!

ORIGINAL: cayugad

"it is a blast to do it with a muzzleloader"
Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the deer!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Good Job! Congrat's.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you get tired of shooting deer, go after an elk, and don't settle for anything short of Boone & Crockett size antlers. Then go for moose! You ain't never et nuthin' as good. Then Grizzly & Alaskan brownies-all with the flintlock!! I guarantee you won't be bored!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to hunt elk. I don't think my budget would allow it. I did splurge this fall and went to Newfoundland for moose. You are right, they taste really good. If I had the money, I'dlike to tryhunting other big game.I am getting a little bored with deer though.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zat iz nize muss! But I see you din't killum with smokepole! However, congratulations, that is a trophy!!