Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barrel length and powder burning >

Barrel length and powder burning

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel length and powder burning

Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Barrel length and powder burning

I was reading a ML forum and it was stated that to adequately burn 100 grains of powder, a 26" barrel was needed. Was wondering, if this was the case, why do they make 22" barreled guns that will shoot 150 gr of powder?

Will a 22" barrel burn more powder if a 350+ grain bullet is used compared to the same barrel and a 240gr bullet?

Will the slower, heavier bullet allow more time for extra powder to be burned up?

How much powder should be the minimum used when dealing with elk size animals?If 90 grains is accurate with a 300 gr. bullet, would this be enough for elk to around 125 yards?

Not sure exactly how to tell what would be enough for an elk and don't want to find out that what Iwas usingwasn't enough the hard way by losing an animal.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel length and powder burning

Many people claim a 26" barrel or longer is necessary to burn off a full charge of 150 grains of powder. I would not know, I never tested that much powder charge enough to make an opinion. A 22" barrel I know for a fact will burn off 110 grains of powder as I never see any unburned powder on the snow in front of it. I have shot 120 grains of powder out of a 24" and never saw unburned powder.

The big question concerning barrel lengthcenters on; if the barrel is too short in direct correlation to the amount of powder making uo the over all charge, there becomes the possibility that the ignition time will not have enough barrel length to have sufficient time to get the full benefit from that powder charge.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM

This thing with barrel length is not absolute. You will always get more speed out of a longer barrel - the issue is whether the amount you gain is worth the akwardness and weight of the longer weapon. With 150 grain loads of Pyrodex pellets and sabots, I was getting about 125 to 150 fps more speed with my 26" Black Diamond XR than I was with my 22 1/2" regular Black Diamond. With conicals and 100 grains of loose Pyrodex, the difference was a little less than 100 fps.

You will be fine with a non-magnum load (90 to 110 grains of powder) for elk out to 150 yards. I would recommend the 250 grain Shockwave or the 250 gr. Barnes Expander MZ. If you can't use sabots, the 385 gr. Buffalo Bullets and the 410 gr. Hornady Great Plains (with a MMP ballistic bridge sub base) arebullets that I know from personal experience will take elk.

Good luck. Roskoe
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Strutter

I was reading a ML forum and it was stated that to adequately burn 100 grains of powder, a 26" barrel was needed. Was wondering, if this was the case, why do they make 22" barreled guns that will shoot 150 gr of powder?
A lot of that depends on the type of ignition you choose to use and the burning speed and size of the powder you are using. I have a 24" Remington, I use 209 ignition most of the time. I load it with a 100 grains of T7-2f, 300 grain bullet and sometimes a 250 grain - I believe I am burning all of that 100 grains, if I were to load it with 150 - I really don't think I would burn it all at least in the barrel behind the projectile. The 26" Remington - 26" A&H - I believe I could probably burn 130 grains loose and 150 grains in pellets. Using the any of my sidelocks with a 28" barrel is out of the question... to much for them.

Will the slower, heavier bullet allow more time for extra powder to be burned up?
It is my belief the heavier the projectile the longer it in the barrel the more complete powder burn you will get - but your velocity will be slower than a lighter bullet. You can get to heavy of a projectile for the powder you load make sure you check your manual if you go above a 300 grain bullet.

How much powder should be the minimum used when dealing with elk size animals?If 90 grains is accurate with a 300 gr. bullet, would this be enough for elk to around 125 yards?
I think you would find that 90 grains would drive a 300 grain bullet with enough velocity and energy to do in an elk at 125 and beyond. Shot placement with a ML is always key - remember you are shooting something stronger than a 30-30 and less than a 308. I use 100 grains of t7 to drive a 300 grain .458 Nosler Partition and I am comfortable with that out to 200 if all the conditions are right. Remember t7 is a little more potent than BP or other subs.

Here is a ballistic chart worked up on a 300 grain bullet. It looks pretty effective to me - with placement being the key..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/300_Nos_PP_Ballistics.jpg

Hope some of this helps - should be some other ideas pop up here in a bit

Old 12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my elk this year (approx 475 lb cow) at 90 yards with my CVA Bobcat. The load was a 370 grain T/C Maxi Ball and 80 grains of 2F powder. I hit her in the back, which dropped her, and I had to make a point blank shot in the base of the skull to put her down for good. I have no experience with what this bullet would have done on a rib shot, so take this info for what it is worth.