Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel length?? >

Barrel length??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel length??

Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Barrel length??

Looking to buy my first handgun for hunting. I have narrowed my decision to a S&W.44mag but have yet to decide on the barrel lenght. Do you recommend a 6-1/2 or a 8-3/8 and why!!!

Thanks and good hunting!!!!
jt
Old 04-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barrel length??

8 3/8" barrel. As a general rule on thumb they have just a little more velocity, are a little more accurate, a little less recoil.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flip a coin my friend......pick the one that feels best in your hand.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:35 PM

I agree with Vapodog [] I think the most important thing in the accuracy department is finding the gun that fits YOU! Granted like bigbulls said there is some benifit to longer barrels, though if you arn' t comfortable with the gun it can be a bad thing.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 3/8" . Good shooting!!
Old 04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the longer barrel, Try different lengths and see which ones feels the best to you.What feels good to one may not to others.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-23-2003, 05:34 PM

i dont like barrels that are longer than 7.5" . so id go with the 6.5" one. but that just the way they fir in my hand. also findind a holster can be problem for longer barrels if you dont want an accross the chest holster. i like my guns on the hip, but again its personally.
there is no great reason to choose one or the other. when it gets to a change of less than 2" then its all personal
Old 04-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

i preferr longer barrels also ,
the s&w your going for bud , is it the model with that' s drilled and tapped for scope mounting on the barrel and is also factory ported by the front site ( i remember reading that they were ported but, not sure ) and does it have the heavy barrel underlug , also what type of grips does the revolver have bud ????? let us know

Old 04-23-2003, 09:21 PM

Thanks for help info everyone!! I going to look at one Fri. that is the dx classic version of the S&W. Supposedly the dx comes with both the wooden and rubber grips , a case, and several sight configurations adapters (included). I' m new at this so forgive me for not having the lingo down yet. I checked around and the price of the 8-3/8 classic dx is $849 (new) and the 6-1/2 classic is $689 (new). The dealer said the dx is primarily for competition. He has a 8-3/8 dx gun that the S&W reps. displayed at all the shows which would still come with full factory warranty for $629. WHICH ONE, WHICH ONE???

I' m thinking $629???
Talk to me.
Thanks again
jt

Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mathew, see which one feels the best to you.You might like the shorter barrel or the longer barrel better. You have to decide.The prices you mentioned IMHO seem awful high to me.I haven' t dealt with Smith since the Clinton Admistration and S&W' s sellout.They might (?" ) be good prices but I think you could do much better shopping around.Before you jump the gun check the Ruger' s and Taurus' s out.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Barrel length??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.