HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barrel length and powder burning
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barrel length and powder burning

Strutter

I was reading a ML forum and it was stated that to adequately burn 100 grains of powder, a 26" barrel was needed. Was wondering, if this was the case, why do they make 22" barreled guns that will shoot 150 gr of powder?
A lot of that depends on the type of ignition you choose to use and the burning speed and size of the powder you are using. I have a 24" Remington, I use 209 ignition most of the time. I load it with a 100 grains of T7-2f, 300 grain bullet and sometimes a 250 grain - I believe I am burning all of that 100 grains, if I were to load it with 150 - I really don't think I would burn it all at least in the barrel behind the projectile. The 26" Remington - 26" A&H - I believe I could probably burn 130 grains loose and 150 grains in pellets. Using the any of my sidelocks with a 28" barrel is out of the question... to much for them.

Will the slower, heavier bullet allow more time for extra powder to be burned up?
It is my belief the heavier the projectile the longer it in the barrel the more complete powder burn you will get - but your velocity will be slower than a lighter bullet. You can get to heavy of a projectile for the powder you load make sure you check your manual if you go above a 300 grain bullet.

How much powder should be the minimum used when dealing with elk size animals?If 90 grains is accurate with a 300 gr. bullet, would this be enough for elk to around 125 yards?
I think you would find that 90 grains would drive a 300 grain bullet with enough velocity and energy to do in an elk at 125 and beyond. Shot placement with a ML is always key - remember you are shooting something stronger than a 30-30 and less than a 308. I use 100 grains of t7 to drive a 300 grain .458 Nosler Partition and I am comfortable with that out to 200 if all the conditions are right. Remember t7 is a little more potent than BP or other subs.

Here is a ballistic chart worked up on a 300 grain bullet. It looks pretty effective to me - with placement being the key..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/300_Nos_PP_Ballistics.jpg

Hope some of this helps - should be some other ideas pop up here in a bit