Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Haven't muzzleloaded since 87.  What's changed? >

Haven't muzzleloaded since 87. What's changed?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Haven't muzzleloaded since 87. What's changed?

Old 10-13-2002, 12:37 AM

Default Haven't muzzleloaded since 87. What's changed?

Guys I know this one sounds crazy but I have an old TC Hawken, .50 caliber, that I have not had the chance to use since 1987. Now have land and an opportunity. Question is: When I used to shoot way back when the best load for the gun accuracy wise was 80 grains of FFF black powder and a round ball. Only shot one deer with it but it would drive tacks at 100 yards.

Now that I m ready to dust it off and shoot I find some much has changed. There are sabots, measured charges, etc. From the look of things it would seem one of the Hodgken(sic?) kits with the 50/50 sabots pushing a .429 would be a good place to start? Maybe a couple of charges of the powder and see how it patterns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I have shot loads at 110 grains of FFF black but with the round balls it would not pattern. HELP!!!

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Haven't muzzleloaded since 87. What's changed?

Why not just stick with the load you know works well? If you want to try conicals and sabots, fist you should make sure the rifling twist rate is fast enough to stabilize them. Round balls don't need alot of twist to properly stabilize, 1 turn in 66" is more than enough. It's not enough to stabilize heavier conicals and sabots. With those, the longer and heavier the bullet, the faster the twist rate needs to be. This question is addressed in much more detail on Precision Rifle's website:

www.prbullet.com then click on Q & A in the left column.

To check the twist rate you can put a patch on a cleaning jag that's tight enough to engage the rifleing. Then run it down the bore to measure the turns and distance. With a slow twist you might not even have one full turn in the barrel, so I'd use a fraction of a turn and multiply (i.e 1 in 66" rifleing= 1/2 in 33", 1/4 in 16.5&quot.

Good luck,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a T/C .54 caliber that is the same way.. 80 grains, .015 patch, round ball, and all you need to add to that is a nice deer, and you have venison at home. If your gun was once that accurate with round ball and 80 grains before, no reason it should not be again. I would stick with the same charge as you used to shoot. If it is not broke, why fix it. Forget all the other stuff out there. Pre measured charges are nice, but they are not for sidelocks. If all your hunting is whitetail, I really see no need to go to the conicals unless you like to try something new, or your trying to increase your shooting range. In that case, I shoot a 300 grain LEE conical, that I make from my own mold. I set that on 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. And old Hawkins is probably a 1-48 twist, so they are not set up for the sabots, although some claim they shoot just fine out of their sidelocks. Most of all have fun. Welcome back to the sport and have a safe hunt this year...
Old 10-13-2002, 07:06 PM

thx guys especially mike for the url. if i m hearing you guys right then the premixed things will not work with the sidelocks? too bad.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-14-2002, 08:58 PM

coondog you old dawg. glad you didn't write that sharp note. i might have sent one back then we would do the wee wee contest. by the way used to do a lot of coon hunting in ky but we ran redbones. r u a coon hunter? walkers, redbones, blueticks?

hey i will be glad to dust off the old side lock. send you a picture.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]