Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question for Herman >

Question for Herman

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for Herman

Old 10-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for Herman

Herman, when you shot those terrific groups with your 209x50 what powder were you using in what amount and what exact method did you use to measure the powder charge?

Sorry if you covered all that in the original posts but I don't seem to be able to find them now. I'm asking because we are having a discussion on Hunt America about whether to tap the volume down or simply pour the volume as first dropped into a measure or spout. Test so far indicate far more difference when tapping down Triple7 than Pyrodex.

Thanks in advance. And I hope you weren't shooting pellets!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for Herman

In the picture of the 2 groups one was shot using 100 grs of pyrodex select and the 195 gr barnes bullet and the other one was shot using 2 50 gr pellets of pyrodex and the 195 gr barnes bullet,As you can see both shot the about same.
I shot about 21/2 cans of 777 this summer and I never got any good groups using it with any bullet I used it fouled so bad I couldn't get the bullet seated at the same place even after swabbing between shots,maybe some do better with the 777 but so far I haven,t.
I ran out of the sabots for the 195 barnes and the owner of the shooting supply says he ordered me some over two months ago but as of yesterday they still haven,t gotten here.
I picked up a box of the hornady xtp/mags in 240 gr yesterday and I want to see if I can work out a load with them and the cleanshot powder,it is the cleanest shooting powder of the substitutes.I shoot 100grs of it and a 250 gr xtp/mag in my ruger and it has been really good over the years.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg