Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A big Decision pays off >

A big Decision pays off

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A big Decision pays off

Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Default A big Decision pays off

I have read this forum for many months and have learned a whole bunch! Early on after reading the various posts I decided that muzzle loading was the way to go. Since I was restricted by shotgun only deer season in 8H NY, I needed an alternative. My MAXIMUM range with a shotgun is 75 yards (and that is pushing it). We are allowed to use muzzleloaders and I wondered if that may be an option. Well it was.
I bought a Knight Wolverine and a refurbished Nikon Prostaff scope. After numerous power and bullet combinations, I finally found the right duo. 150 grains 777 and Barnes 250 Gr Expanders. Since that time I have abandoned my Ithaca Deerslayer and used the mentioned combination. So far the results have been very impressive. 3 shots, 3 kills, 3 deer. That about says it all. All 3 rounds passed through the deer and all resulted in a quick kill. Each deer was hit where I wanted and no meat was wasted. Who would think?? yep, I am impressed and I am a believer. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A big Decision pays off

congrats
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the deer.. and also the sport. Sounds like you found a good way to do things.. 3 for three..it don't get much better then that.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Sort of like thesaying:

"Don't ya love it when a good plan comes together"

Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:00 AM

I have some friends that are die hard shoutgunners. The conversion is soon to come! BTW all of my shots were very clean kills. I am very pleased, and thank all of you who post in this forum. Last year I didn't even own a muzzleloader. Oh yea, muzzleloading season is still weeks away. In NY we can harvest either a buck or doe with a muzzleloading tag.