Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mid-Day Pays off >

Mid-Day Pays off

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid-Day Pays off

Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mid-Day Pays off

I just got back home from three great days of hunting on my land in C'field. The deer are moving, moving, and then moving some more. The rut is starting and this moon should have it in full swing next week. I seen plenty of deer including a few small bucks and decided to take one to the processor this afternoon.

I woke up at 4:00am this morning to head out, but I was just too tired. So I climbed back into my warm bed and slept until about 9:00am. After getting up and messing around the house I decided to get dressed and do a midday hunt. I got to my land and climbed the tree that I've been hunting out of for the most of part of the season. Its a fairly decent sized sweet gum down in the creek bottom on the side of the hill. It is also about 20ft from the biggest white oak I've ever seen. The white oak is still dropping acorns and the ground around the tree is just dangerous to walk on because of all the acorns rolling under your feet. I've had several close encounters in this tree over the past few days with does, yearlings, and buck. However, no shot presented its self.

I climb up the tree get my gear settled, put on my release, face mask, and pulled up my bow. I looked down at my phone to see what it was and it was 12:00pm. I sat back enjoying the slight breeze and the beautiful flowing creek with the brightest of orange and yellow leaves floating down stream, silently gliding over the rocks. At about 12:30pm I notice a good sized deer across the creek walking up the side of the ridge. I took out my "can" and turned it over. There was a slight breeze blowing so when the deer didn't respond I turned it over again. The 2nd time the deer stopped and started flicking its tail. So I turned it over again and the deer done an about face and started for me. Immediately the adrenaline kicked in and my heart started racing. I couldn't see the deer's head, but assumed it was a doe. I stood up, picked up my bow, and put my release on the string. The deer got behind some brush and I couldn't see it anymore. So I reached down and turned over the "can" again and the deer had already crossed the creek and was full steam heading right to me. My heart beat started getting faster and faster when I noticed that it was a buck and he wasn't wasting time coming in. I drew my bow and anchored. The buck got at about 40yds and stopped. He started sniffing and licking the air trying to wind the doe he was hearing. He then started walking to my left. NOT GOOD! He was already at an angle where my safety harness was tight (my safety harness caused me to have to pass a perfect shot on a doe the day before). I knew that I had to let my bow down and call to him again to get him to come my way. So that's just what I did. He turned towards me a little, but still kept walking to my left. I thought to myself that it was now or never. I drew my bow, but my harness was too tight to turn around enough. The buck started walking again and I bahhed to get him to stop. I had to squat down to the point where my butt was almost touching the seat of my climber. I had to readjust my anchor and while I was doing this the buck started walking again. I got everything settle and bahhed at him and he stopped again. So I placed the pin right behind his shoulder and squeezed my release. JUST as I squeezed my release the buck took a step forward, but it was too late. As soon as the arrow hit the buck I could tell that it was too high and too far back because it looked like someone threw a water balloon *****d with red water and busted it on his side. Blood squirted over five feet in the air. I could actually hear the blood as it flew out of the buck into the air and only the leaves and trees. It was AWESOME!!!!! The buck took off running and every time his feet would hit the ground another huge gush of blood would squirt four feet in the air.

I gathered myself and climbed down the tree. When I got to the spot where the deer was standing there was blood everywhere, even 5ft high on a big sweet gum. I picked up my arrow which was covered in blood. I had NO problem following a huge blood trail right to the buck. I was amazed at how far he made it though. Because of the buck moving and because of me not practicing shooting down hill, the arrow hit high and about four inches too far back missing the lungs and just lower than the spine. However, since I hit an artery he was DONE!!! Not even 20 minutes later the buck was as stiff as a board so I'm sure he bleed almost completely out. I put my harness around his neck and drug him to the truck.

Now since I have two deer with the bow this year I am going to start giving the little guys a break and either take a doe or something bigger than a 6pt. I tell ya.....is there a feeling better than bow hunting?

Here are the pics, enjoy. Also...look at the hole the Rage 2 blade cut. These things are awesome. Oh yeah, he is a 5pt.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Mid-Day Pays off

good story and congrats...and did you say RAGE??!!!!!!!!!! oh yeh, Rage baby.... "it's getting better all the time"
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM

COngrats man, is that deer laying in your living room?!?!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

LMAO!!! ....that is EXACTLY what I thought!

Nice deer, congrats!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go, congrats!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

LoL

No. That picture was taken at the processor. He has one of the best set-ups I've ever seen. Everything is inside and on concrete. Its an old barn that he turned into a processing business.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man...good story too! Those rages are something else,,, i tell you i might have to try them out..

BH818