Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

perserveranve pays off

Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default perserveranve pays off

A couple of years ago, I was drooling over some custom calls I saw at the Turkey Extravaganza in Jackson, MS, but I just couldn't see taking a call that expensive out in the rain and putting it through the abuse that my calls seem to get. So, I decided to try to make one for myself. As a result, I have learned a LOT about the varying sound qualities of wood -- both between different species and within the same board. Well, anyway, I found a new hobby in the meantime -- I like making these little boxes and seeing what kind of sound I can get out of them. Here's the latest batch:

The middle three on the top row are Sycamore on walnut. They have a higher pitch than any other combo that I have come across. The rest of this batch is walnut on poplar. Some of them dropped right in when I started tuning them and the rest of 'em are coming along nicely.

A couple of folks in my church wanted one to give away for a Christmas present, so I made a bunch to make sure they got a good one. Looks like I'm going to have a hard time picking out which one to take with me next spring.

I can't wait for March!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: perserveranve pays off

Man, they look real nice.... I'd like to test samples for ya if ya want?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 AM
JW
Super Moderator

This is the fun part of turkey hunting and welcome to the next step - one reason I dabble in wingbones! Just a hobby to pass the time till come this spring and then when ya whack one you have called using your own call - close enought to see their eyelashes! As I said welcome to the next step!

JW
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, those are some nice looking calls!!!! You really made them look good.I would be glad to test them for ya.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you take some pride in what you do. It is awesome that you have taken to making your own calls.

I had collected a slew of wingbones, which I gave to a bud to send to another bud who actually makes the calls, in high hopes of getting a call or two in return. Maybe one day I will get one and even call in a bird with it...lol

Seriously though, your calls look great. Email me with what you are asking for them. @ [email protected]