Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun Storage

Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Gun Storage

This probably belongs in the regular gun forum, but I am especially curious with respect to my flintlock, so...

I keep my guns in a locked case in the garage. The case is not insulated/temperature controlled in any way. However it does have "air holes."

With the temperature getting colder, are there any special storage considerations I need to take in to account due to the coldweather?

I live in Phoenix, Arizonaso we don't get as cold as you east coast guys-but it does get to below freezing at night.

Besides a thorough cleaning and coating of oil in all the usual places, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks,
~Robert
Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Storage

ORIGINAL: BonsaiDiver

This probably belongs in the regular gun forum, but I am especially curious with respect to my flintlock, so...

I keep my guns in a locked case in the garage. The case is not insulated/temperature controlled in any way. However it does have "air holes."

With the temperature getting colder, are there any special storage considerations I need to take in to account due to the coldweather?

I live in Phoenix, Arizonaso we don't get as cold as you east coast guys-but it does get to below freezing at night.

Besides a thorough cleaning and coating of oil in all the usual places, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks, Robert
Seems to me the major consideration for guns stored as you describe is condensation of moisture on the steel surfaces due to temperature changes. If the guns get real cold, then are subjected to warm, moist air, you will have a problem. However, in Phoenix, I am sure your atmospheric humidity is generally a lot lower than most of us experience.

I currently have mine stored in an adjoining building which is not heated, but which does not drop below freezing althoiugh subjected to varying temperatures all year, but when I lived in upstate NY, my guns were stored in an unheated barn in which temperatures got to significantly below zero on a number of occasions. I coat the steel components of mine with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, then put them in silicon-impregnated Gun Socks. To date, I have had no problems with rust/corrosion of any of them when so stored, either here (PA) or in upstate NY, despitehigh atmospheric humidity levels in both locations. NY was WORSE, of course, as it rains or snows almost every day there.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:54 AM

You live in a pretty dry climate, oil should do the trick. It's the freezing nights and mild days that could cause condensation witch leads to rust. If the temp was constant day & night it wouldn't matter if it was freezing or not. Either move them into the house where the temp is constant or pick up a de-humidifier availlable at almost any gun shop for about 20$ and your problem's solved.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never had to store my rifles in such an environment but I see no flaw to how you intend to do it. I also would coat them with Birchwood Casey Sheath and a gun sock would not hurt.. The thing with temperature change and humidity in your caseis, all of it happens over a course of time and not to the degree that could happen in other places. The condensation on metal comes when you bring a rifle in from the cold to the heat, or a warm house. In your case, as the room warms, so does the gunmetal. I do not think condensation will be a problem.

What I do (learned this trick from an old gunsmith)and you might want to.. get yourself a pair of cheap 100% cotton gloves, and check the rifles while wearing the gloves. This stops the salt off your fingers touching the metal. Then store the gloves with the rifles, in a plastic or paper bag. That way they do not collect dust and dirt. Some people actually will oil the fingers and palm of the gloves but I find mine pick off enough from the guns over times. I wipe the rifles off while wearing the gloves, and if I feel the need to inspect them, I wear the gloves. It saves inspecting them for the finger prints. Check your rifles about every two months in detail with a bore scope and all, and you should be fine.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Birchwood Casey Sheath & silicone sock... just like poster Elde stated!

Then I would buy two bags of charcoal for cooking - lay them on top of the gun case & slice both bags from top to bottom with a knife -- then lay the sliced sides face-up on top of the case that holds these guns. Charcoal draws moisture like it's nobody's business. It will act a humidity shield for that case - if by-chancea few mornings get below freezing or extra wet.

Should then be good-to-go for Arizona climate.