HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun Storage
Thread: Gun Storage
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Storage

ORIGINAL: BonsaiDiver

This probably belongs in the regular gun forum, but I am especially curious with respect to my flintlock, so...

I keep my guns in a locked case in the garage. The case is not insulated/temperature controlled in any way. However it does have "air holes."

With the temperature getting colder, are there any special storage considerations I need to take in to account due to the coldweather?

I live in Phoenix, Arizonaso we don't get as cold as you east coast guys-but it does get to below freezing at night.

Besides a thorough cleaning and coating of oil in all the usual places, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks, Robert
Seems to me the major consideration for guns stored as you describe is condensation of moisture on the steel surfaces due to temperature changes. If the guns get real cold, then are subjected to warm, moist air, you will have a problem. However, in Phoenix, I am sure your atmospheric humidity is generally a lot lower than most of us experience.

I currently have mine stored in an adjoining building which is not heated, but which does not drop below freezing althoiugh subjected to varying temperatures all year, but when I lived in upstate NY, my guns were stored in an unheated barn in which temperatures got to significantly below zero on a number of occasions. I coat the steel components of mine with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, then put them in silicon-impregnated Gun Socks. To date, I have had no problems with rust/corrosion of any of them when so stored, either here (PA) or in upstate NY, despitehigh atmospheric humidity levels in both locations. NY was WORSE, of course, as it rains or snows almost every day there.