Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington Kleenbore 209 primer problems >

Remington Kleenbore 209 primer problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Kleenbore 209 primer problems

Old 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Remington Kleenbore 209 primer problems

I just bought some of the new Remington primers from Walmart. I tried them in my MDM Quicshooter .50 cal break open and I wasnt pleased at all. I saw fire shoot out from the where the barrel meets the breechface. They remove easy from the nipple but I couldnt believe how much of the fire came out of the breach area. The breechface , nipple, and back of barrel were covered in black after one shot, more than what should have been. I tried the Winchester 209 for muzzleloaders and didnt have that problem. The winchester primers started sticking after awhile but the remington didnt. I looked at the holes on the bottom of the primers and the one on the winchester is smaller than the one on the remington. The remington primers have to be smaller in diameter to fit so loosely. I havent shot any loads yet and i fear there may be some more blowback. Has anyone else seen this problem. Maybe my nipple is not sized right, but i dont think so.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Remington Kleenbore 209 primer problems

I have heard many people not happy with the Remington Kleenbore Primers. So far I have not had any problems with them, but I do shoot loose powder and I do not have a break open.

If you find that after a few shots the Winchester 209 are hard to remove, an easy fix is take some Q-tips to the range with you. After about several shots, spray a Q-tip with alcohol and clean the inside of the 209 primer area with it. Use the other end to make sure it is dry in there. Just that simple cleaning will make them easy to load and remove again. At least it does in my rifles. I do this all the time with my Black Diamond and my Disc.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmericanPioneer

I just bought some of the new Remington primers from Walmart. I tried them in my MDM Quicshooter .50 cal break open and I wasnt pleased at all. I saw fire shoot out from the where the barrel meets the breechface. They remove easy from the nipple but I couldnt believe how much of the fire came out of the breach area. The breechface , nipple, and back of barrel were covered in black after one shot, more than what should have been. I tried the Winchester 209 for muzzleloaders and didnt have that problem. The winchester primers started sticking after awhile but the remington didnt. I looked at the holes on the bottom of the primers and the one on the winchester is smaller than the one on the remington. The remington primers have to be smaller in diameter to fit so loosely. I havent shot any loads yet and i fear there may be some more blowback. Has anyone else seen this problem. Maybe my nipple is not sized right, but i dont think so.
There's a difference between primer residue and blowback - which results from powder ignition. Sounds like yourrifle disperses blowback from powder ignition. My Omega does not.If all that exterior stuff on your rifleis only 209residue, that is non-corrosive & will not create rust if not cleaned after range work.

My sidelocks seesparks shooting all over the place. That's a result of the best #11 caps on the market ... ie.... RWS Dynamit Nobels (red tin). My sidelocks never leave home without them.[X(]
Old 11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have several hundred shots with the Kleenbore Primers and have not had anissue with them in both a T/C Omega and a T/C Firestorm 209. In fact, I have found that they are in fact cleaner shooting as advertised.

I have had to re-dial loads slightlyto accomodate the primer change and maintain POI.

Did you shoot a Kleenbore and then a WIN primer? One right after the other? Are the results the same?

Also, check your breeck plug to ensure that flash channel is clear and clean. If this is clogged slightly, you could experience some blowback pressure in the primer cup.

Tahquamenon
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I bought some on clearance at Walmart for $3.50. I am going to try them this week. I use 777 powder and pellets. I hope they are cleaner burning as advertised. We will see how they perform out of my new Omega and my Knight Bighorn. If I like them, I am going to go back and buy several packs!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:28 PM

I SHOOT THE KLEENBORE PRIMERS IN MY CVA BEARTOOTH
MAGNUM. WHICH IS A BREAK-OPEN DESIGN, I'VE PROBABLY
RUN CLOSE TO 150 ROUNDS USING 2-50GR. 777 PELLETS.
I FIND THEY PERFORM AS ADVERTISED, PERFECT IGNITION,
EVERY TIME WITH NO CRUD RING, EASY CLEAN-UP. I
THINK AS SOME OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED MAKE SURE
WHEN YOU CLOSE THE BREACH YOU HAVE A VERY TIGHT
FIT. JUST MY OPNION.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 AM

I just tried the remington primers without powder. I just snapped them. I used them first and sparks came out of the gaps on the breakdown muzzleloader I have. I also saw alot of spark coming from the barrel. There was residue everywhere just from the primer. I then fired the winchester and did not get sparks from the barrel end or sparks out of the gaps from the barrel and breach front. There wasnt as much residue either. I had cleaned the whole area around the breach, nipple , and breach face before I fired it so I could compare. I'll try with some of my other rifles to see how they fair with them. I have a cva thunderbolt magnum .45, thompson center firehawk .54, and a Brutus 94 made by Pedersoli in .50 which I heard was made for Kahnke. Ill post my results. Thanks for all you input guys.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:08 AM

Not that I have a vast experience base but have had good sucess with them.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, after some additional thought and some measurements here is something that may help.

Thinking that you may be having a headspace tolerance issue, I did some measurements on the primers. These are approximate:
WIN 209: 0.2994"
Rem KB:0.2935"

So, the Remington Kleenbore's are 0.0059" shorter than the WIN 209's.

Perhaps this is just enough difference to be causing you the blowback because the Rem's are not sealing up as well in your rifle.

A couple of additional things I would check:
1) Check the main pivot pin in your rifle that secures the barrel to the frame,to ensure that it is tight and not loose at all. This could cause blowback. If is loose, then you will need a replacement main pin.
2) Don't over tighten your breech plug. Just snug it up finger tight. This may reduce enough headspace clearance to seal the Rem KB primers against the frame side of the breech.

Good luck!!

Tahquamenon