Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How many shots worth do you take hunting? >

How many shots worth do you take hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many shots worth do you take hunting?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many shots worth do you take hunting?

If I were going hunting for 4 days would I want to measure and put enough powder in my horn for a specific amount of shots then carry that many bullets to? Then in the truck at camp have more powder and bullets? How much do you guys take? I was thinking about taking enough for 5 or 6 shots a day. Then before I get up and go out again the next day refill? Doese that sound good?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many shots worth of stuff do you take hunting?

When I go on a day hunt, the rifle is loaded and I have four speed loaders with me. I found that is all I need.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many shots worth of stuff do you take hunting?

Ditto for me, four pre-loaders. I keep extra powder, bullets and primers in the truck in case I need to re-fill one of my pre-loaders. With the gun loaded and four pre-loaders, you have five shots for the hunt. Since you usually get only one shot, this should be all you need.

I have only taken more than one shot, one time while BP hunting. I shot three does in a food plot one morning. I will not likely do that again as the lesson of having to drag three deer out of the woods has stuck with me strong!!! Just dragging the one I shot the other day liked to have killed me. I was about 350 yards in the woods from the club road when I shot her. And of coarse she couldn't have run towards the road. No, she had to run the other direction into the next county before she crashed!!. Just my luck!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many shots worth do you take hunting?

i carry WAY to much....but its all pretty small and light and i rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it.......i carry 5 premeasured powder charges....im going to pump that up to 10 though lol...my tc u view flask full of powder...10-15 shots......so thats about 18 shots or so.....and i carry about 20 balls in my bag....and a stack of patches for them......when i get more powder tubes ill carry the 10 premeasured charges and leave the flask, measurerand powder can in the truck...yes i carry my CAN of powder with me too lol.....just never know...ive never needed anything more then the premeasured charges...but i like to be safe not sorry......i really should lighten my possibles bag lol...but everything is so small and light.....i rather have it
Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I usually carry 5.

Charlie
Old 11-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

3-4 speed loaders normally is what I carry daily and I would plan and allow for about 400-500 grains of powder per day and carry that in a sealing container. Same for caps or primers carry plenty of extras in a dry container.

Basically, you need to figure what your hunting load is in grains, multiply that by however many speedloaders you will carry and then multiply that by how many days you will be hunting.

Just an approximate. I have never used up all the powder unless I loaned some to replace someone elses powder that either got wet or they ran out early.

Tahquamenon
Old 11-29-2005, 05:34 AM

ORIGINAL: pse-archer

If I were going hunting for 4 days would I want to measure and put enough powder in my horn for a specific amount of shots then carry that many bullets to? Then in the truck at camp have more powder and bullets? How much do you guys take? I was thinking about taking enough for 5 or 6 shots a day. Then before I get up and go out again the next day refill? Doese that sound good?
1 in my barrel, 6 in my possibles bag, and 25 back at my vehicle. I never use more than I have tags but I always play it safe and carry plenty.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take 1 additional shot when I hunt w/ my BP gun.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

1 in the barrel and 3 quick loads
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 AM

1 in the tube and 3 speed loaders

Quick Reply: How many shots worth do you take hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.