Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cayugad,what does XTP stand for? >

cayugad,what does XTP stand for?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cayugad,what does XTP stand for?

Old 11-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Default cayugad,what does XTP stand for?

You said if I use 85 grains of Triple Se7en and a 240 grain XTP bullet,I should get a good group that's powerful enough to take a deer at 100 yards.
I really appreciate you sharing yourknowledge and giving me advice.Thanks cayugad!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cayugad,what does XTP stand for?

extreme terminal performance = XTP

I think you will be real happy with them. As others on the board can tell you, there have been a lot of deer taken with this projectile..

Also remember 85 grains of Triple Se7en is equal to 100 grains of Pyrodex RS which is a powerful load in anyone's book. People shoot deer at 100 yards with a 177 grain roundball and 80 grains of Pyrodex. You on the other hand have a heavier projectile, larger powder charge, and the expansion ability of the projectile design. Place that projectile in the right place and it will do the rest..
Old 11-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Where can I find "extreme terminal performance" bullets?
I didn't see them in Cabela's Fall Shooting Catalog.
Would Dick's have them?It's too bad I don't have any decent pro shops close to me.Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Go to Cabela's on line site.. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20815&navAction=jump&n avCount=13&parentId=cat20712&parentType=ca tegory&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommo n%2Fcatalog%2Fcategory-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712

Go into the black powder section and then over to the bullets and sabot section of their on line catalog. Look for a HORNADY XTP BULLETS. You might want to look into the 300 & 240 grain. I think the 240 grain would work good for you, but some rifles do like the 300 grain better.

You can also buy them in bulk and get them much cheaper in places like MidSouth Shooters supply. From some of the posts, they feel the .452 diameter is more accurate then the .430 diameter. You will need to buy some sabots if you get them in bulk. Be sure to match up the correct diameter sabot to the bullet.