Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

? for CAYUGAD

Old 03-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Default ? for CAYUGAD

I heard the Tripple 7 burns hotter than Pyrodex, therefore you have to use something like 5% less when shooting loose powder. Is this true, because I asked a salesman at my local gun shop, and he hadn't heard this. I am currently shooting Pyrodex RS, and I am thinking of trying 777, or Pyrodex RS select. I am not sure which I want to try. Any suggestions? I shoot a Knight wolverine 50 cal. inline. Thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ? for CAYUGAD

ORIGINAL: KenL

I heard the Tripple 7 burns hotter than Pyrodex, therefore you have to use something like 5% less when shooting loose powder. Is this true, because I asked a salesman at my local gun shop, and he hadn't heard this. I am currently shooting Pyrodex RS, and I am thinking of trying 777, or Pyrodex RS select. I am not sure which I want to try. Any suggestions? I shoot a Knight wolverine 50 cal. inline. Thanks
Triple Se7en burns mch hotter and that is the reason for some of the crud build up problems in the breechs of some rifles. That is why swabbing between shots is so important when sighting in your rifle.

Your salemans I would disagree with. The rule of thumb is Triple Se7en ins approximately 15% hotter then Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg in loose form. There for if you were shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS, 85 grains of Triple Se7en 2f would equal the same strengh. There are cases where this holds very true and others where it is slightly off.

Triple Se7en is a great powder. It burns hot and much cleaner then most powders although I have not had a chance to try some black mag3. I also shoot a Wolverine II which has a #11 ignition. An excellent load in that rifle for practice and hunting is T/C Mag Express XTP's in 240 grain.

I am currently testing some powder called Pinnacle FFFg grain. This is shooting 90 grains of Pinnacle out of my Wolverine II. The rifle does have a red dot scope on it, and it was only at 30 yards. As you can see I sighted the red dot in for the where the first bullet will hit although the next three don't look all that bad.

I then swabbed the barrel with two patches. And I then fired 12 more T/C XTP's without ever swabbing the barrel to test whether this new Pinnacle powder causes crud rings or bad fowling.

As most of the posters on the board will tell you, shooting 12 sabots in a row without swabbing is almost unheard of in many cases, but the accuracy was still pretty good...

My hunting load with my Wolvernine is 250 grain Barnes Express with 85 grains of Triple Se7en or Goex 3f. I might give this Pinnacle a try with the Barnes Express if I have any left after season.

You have a great rifle there and it will really shoot a number of different projectiles very well. But if you're going to shoot Triple Se7en in loose powder for your own safety, keep the loads under 120 grains. You would never need more then that anyway. Most of the time the loads will come in between 85 - 100 grains.

Good luck with your rifle and remember the 15%. If your shooting Triple Se7en 3f which I have been told is better then 2f (I've never found any in the stores around here) you still only need cut your charges back around 15-20% compared to the Pyrodex RS or Goex from what I have been told. Perhaps a Triple Se7en 3f user can give you better information here then I can.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

KenL I forgot to mention, my Wolverine II is an older model with only a 22" Green Mountain Barrel and still #11 ignition. And I would not change a thing on the rifle even if I could. To shoot real heavy loads is foolish because the powder does not really have a chance to burn off. This little rifle will shoot most projectiles if I keep the powder in the 85 - 100 grain range.

It will also shoot roundballs for fun. Load your rifle with 60 grains of Goex 3f and a .490 patched roundball. I think the accuracy will shock you and this is a great load for kids to shoot because roundballs are so cheap to cast.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

CAYUGAD,

I too have the old mod Wolverine,but topped with Simmond S/M scope,as I mentioned to you before.
About 6 or 7 yrs ago I was advised to convert to LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS and Goex 2f for better performance.
Have been loading 85 to 95grs of Goex 2f and Hornady .240 XTP Sabot MAG with pretty good results at @ 100 and
125yds on a 8" pie plate, Swabbing every 3 shots.
NO, I can't argue with your Targets, very impressive! I have'nt tried Triple 7 yet. I am between 2 1/2 and 3" on
the center of the 8" pie plate.
Should I go back to Caps and use Goex 3f "Pinnacle" Triple7 for tighter groups?Also, is'nt T/C .240 XTP Sabots Mags
the same as Hornady .240 XTP Sabots MAG except for the T/C .240 XTP Sabot MAG Break-O- Ways?
IN your opinion,am I close enough for business and leave it where I'm at?
Have you ever shot any .50cal T/C Cheap Shot Sabot Bullets for Targets?

Like I told you before, you got me burning powder Again! I layed off for a couple years.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Where did you find the Pinacle Powder? How much per pound? I am suspecting that it is a carbon copy of American Pioneer Powder. I have shot the Black Mag'3 and I find it a little better than the APP for velocity and it runs a little cleaner so multiple shots in my Omega are possible. I can only get one or two with APP before the fouling makes resetting the bullet impossible. I have shot ten with Black Mag'3.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Rebel Hog the whole question is.. are you happy with the way your rifle is shooting? It sounds like your doing a real good job. My Wolverine has a RED DOT scope and #11 ignition. As long as I shoot loose powder I have never had an ignition problem with the rifle so I see no reason to change. Also what works in my rifle might not work at all in yours.

An advantage with the #11 ignition is you have less crud ring when you burn the hotter powders. 209 primers and Triple Se7en powder (depending on the brand of primer you shoot) could cause some nasty crud rings to develop in the breech so keep an eye out for them. I like to shoot Goex 3f in the Wolverine II because it is cleaner burning then the Goex 2f and I think I get a little more power from the same size charge. Also I like the smoke and the stink and the cheap price. When you shoot as much as I do, it is nice to save a little money.

With this Pinnacle powder, I was able to shoot 12 T/C Mag Express XTP's in 240 grain without ever swabbing the barrel. That was a real eye opener for me. The T/C 240 XTP is made by Hornady.. you're correct. The sabot might be different but the bullet is the same. The T/C Mag Express sabots are not the break away. I actually think they are a MMP sabot, I could be wrong.

MLKeith I was low on powder so when I ordered another case of Goex, I noticed they sold Pinnacle Powder. Since they let me mix and match powder as long as I make a minimum limit of pound I buy, I bought two pounds of the Pinnacle Powder, Three pounds of Swiss 3f, and the rest in Goex 2f and 3f. I get my powder from Powder Inc.. I think I payed $16.50 a pound without figuring in the hazmat fee.

I think this is a new version of Clean Shot since it is produced by American Pioneer Powder, Inc. along with help from Goex, Inc. It is jet black in color, still makes lots of smoke but no stink. It sure is some clean burning stuff. I am not sure of the moisture abilities of the powder yet although today when I was shooting, snowflakes were falling around me and it did not act up.

I still have over a pound of the stuff to shoot, so I am going to play a lot more with it, and when this snow melts and the other ranges open up, then I can try it out at some real long distances.....
Old 03-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: KenL

The label on my bottle of 777 says reduce loads by 20% volume, not weight. I am willin' to take Hogdon's word for it. I don't like the groups I got though, but I'll keep playin' with it in my .50.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

The label on my bottle of 777 says reduce loads by 20% volume, not weight. I am willin' to take Hogdon's word for it. I don't like the groups I got though, but I'll keep playin' with it in my .50.
I can agree to that figure. What kind of rifle are you shooting? What kind of projectile? And how big a charge? Sometimes people try to push a projectile too hard and they end up getting terrible accuracy.

If your shooting a patched roundball, try putting a wonderwad under the patch to protect it from the head of the Triple Se7en ignition. I have to do that with one of the .54 calibers I shoot. It loves Triple Se7en but without the wonderwad the patch is smoked......
Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 PM

It's a CVA Bobcat, that shot very well with pyrodox. In the case of the 777 I was shooting a PRB, and plain ol' #11 CCI caps. I wasn't getting full time ignition, so will try the Magnums. I tried a couple of different hotshot/perfect type nipples with no joy. The charges ranged from 40 to 70 grains in 5 grain increments. I have a musket nipple to try if the CCI Magnums don't help, but I can always go back to the Pyrodex RS, I just don't much care for the smell. I'll give the wonder wads a try, but the patches looked ok.

Quick Reply: ? for CAYUGAD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.