Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Hunterbolt 209 >

CVA Hunterbolt 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Hunterbolt 209

Old 11-25-2002, 06:42 PM

Default CVA Hunterbolt 209

I'm looking to get my first blackpowder gun, and I'm trying to keep it inexpensive. I'm looking at the Hunterbolt 209 in the Cabela's catalog @ $149.99. I think it would suit my needs (45 cal, inline, breech not exposed to the elements), but no local shops stock it. Every shop, and I mean every shop, only carries guns from $350 on up. The Omega seems to be the most popular.
My question is this - can anyone tell me if this gun is ok, or do I need to spend $350 to get a decent gun? (I'd rather buy locally than from Cabela's, but if they insist upon pricing themselves out of the market, then so be it.)
Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-25-2002, 07:31 PM

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt 209

I was going to buy a Hunterbolt but got interested in the Firebolt because it has so many better features added to it that it is irresistable to overlook.26" barrel vs 24" barrel,fluted barrel vs no fluting at all.For only 100$ more it is well worth it to invest in.Wal-mart sells this ML for 254$ ,if they don't have it in stock they can surely order it for this price.I'm not saying that the firebolt is a better gun.I'm just saying look at all your options before you spend hard earned $$$ on something that you won't be happy with!!Every ML has it's own attitude about loads and who is shooting it,so, the price doesn't really matter.

Lee

Edited by - bayonets on 11/25/2002 20:34:18
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 PM

Here in Lansing Michigan Sam's Club now sells the HunterBolt with a camo finish for $149 I hope this helps? - Joe
Old 11-25-2002, 08:02 PM

Now that I read Bayonet's message again, I agree. I own both a Cheezy CVA BuckHorn, and a slightly less cheezy CVA StagHorn ($99.00 at WalMart). I love them both. 1" groups at 50 yards, and they both kill deer quite well. I don't know what a fluted barrel is..(can I play music on it in the woods... But I love my disposable guns. They are both about as accurate as my semi-auto 30.06, and I think they knock down deer better. They are also lighter and quieter in the field. Just my 2 cents... - Joe
Old 11-26-2002, 08:05 AM

jeff, I sold a hunterbolt to my best friend, he installed a bushnell sportsview 3x9, we shot it the other day and it hits bulls eye at 85 yards all day long I think the total price including scope and mounts was 227.00. I shoot a knight disk and I think it is one of the best muzzleloaders on the market, but since he was just getting into it he didn`t want to spend 400 plus. I would get one if you can find one ,but if not let me know I might be able to help.
evan

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 11-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a 50 caliber.
Did you look on Gunbroker.com or Auctionarms.com?

Old 11-26-2002, 03:44 PM

1950KID - Why 50 caliber? From what I understand, the .45 is faster and more accurate. I have confidence that the bullet will go where I aim it, and if it does that, the .45 will have enough power to drop a deer, no?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Spike

My son and I just got CVA Hunterbolts, and as stated above, they shoot, once you find what they like to digest. (We are still experimenting.) Will be trying them out for "real" Saturday when Minn ML season opens. I'm 75 and didn't figure I wanted to invest $400-$500+ as I wouldn't be around long enough to justify the cost. Looked at several, and decided we wanted a closed bolt rather than one that fires from the open bolt. Not sure the 26" fluted barrel is worth the extra cost, but that's just my uneducated opinion. We had been shooting traditional 50 cal. before.
There some things that I see where they cut cost, such as the plastic thimble for the ramrod which I can see as breakable part. If it works and shoots straight, what difference does it make if it cost $l50 or $550? (You could buy 3 of the $l50 guns for the same price.)
Good luck with whichever one you get.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:16 AM

"Did you look on Gunbroker.com or Auctionarms.com?"

Yes, I did. More expensive than Cabelas, and shipping charges are twice as much! I never really thought of Cabelas as a discount retailer, but they have been less expensive than everywhere I've looked.

As far as WalMart, I'm beginning to think I'm cursed. I went into my local WalMart to check it out, and not only did they have no blackpowder guns in stock, the kid working there didn't even know what a muzzleloader is! (Muzzleloader, thats like a shotgun, right?) If I don't find one by the weekend, I'm just gonna call Cabelas.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:13 AM

I have a CVA StagHorn as well, I picked it up at Dick's sporting goods as a kit. It included all the cleaning supplies needed, breechplug tool and a pack of power belt bullets for just $139. I put a Bushnell 1-4.5x on it ($64) and let me tell you the gun shoots like a dream. I sighted it in at 75 yds and I consistantly shoot better than 2" groups with it. Why pay more for a muzzleloader?
Good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: CVA Hunterbolt 209

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.